Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, i just dont know what to think, it sucks b/c i have a 94 5speed with the 4cyl., and i've beaten a few cars like an old cavalier and an old accord, but i've lost twice now to a 95 Lumina and old and new Z24's keep handing my ass to me...i've had my car a while and know the shift points pretty well but does anyone know the specs on those cars? cuz i thought i'd beat them but i got whooped.. thanx

·
Registered
379 Posts
Cavalier Z24s have a 2.4L 150 hp DOHC four-banger; Luminas, depending on the trim level, have either a 160 hp 3.1L V6 or a DOHC 3.4 good for about an even 200.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see.. that should explain why i keep losing to Lumina's then.. and i think the old Z24's have about 150hp V6 themselves.... so with my 120-130 hp Mx i see what i lost....DAMN U JUST CANT STOP THOSE PESKY CHEVY'S... THEY'RE AMAZING MAN!!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't underestimate GM V6's dude...the Lumina LTZ put out 215hp in 95' and i think a few following years.. thats a lot of beef even for a heavier car...i wouldnt feel bad losing to that at all...as for my 4banger 6 vs. a new z24 if the Z is a manual than i know i'll lose they just got much more balls.... and once again those old Lumina Z34's some had 215hp and other rare ones had freakin 270!!! so if i meet one of those I'm sure backing the hell out and i think even u V6 boys would be smart to watch ur step going there

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
mazda4president said:
Don't underestimate GM V6's dude...the Lumina LTZ put out 215hp in 95' and i think a few following years.. thats a lot of beef even for a heavier car...i wouldnt feel bad losing to that at all...as for my 4banger 6 vs. a new z24 if the Z is a manual than i know i'll lose they just got much more balls.... and once again those old Lumina Z34's some had 215hp and other rare ones had freakin 270!!! so if i meet one of those I'm sure backing the hell out and i think even u V6 boys would be smart to watch ur step going there
In 1991, the 3.4L DOHC motor made 200HP. From 1992 to 1995, it made 210HP and in 96-97, it was 215HP. For 98, the expensive DOHC was dropped and the 3800 took its place as the top engine at 200HP. IIRC, the manual was only offered in the 91-93 models, after which the auto was the only gearbox available.

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Cabaret/8100/Lumina.html

the 210HP Z34 ran these numbers:
0-30: 2.7
0-40: 3.9
0-50: 5.5
0-60: 7.5
0-70: 10.0
0-80: 12.6
1/4: [email protected]

To be sure, it's a quick car, as quick as a PGT or V6 MX6, but it's not going to eat one alive. It's close enough that the driver would make the difference. And, AFAIK, those test numbers were for the 5-speed, only offered from 91-93 and they are rare. An automatic Z34 should be a walk for a 5-speed MX6 V6.

That motor was pretty cool though, especially considering that it started life as the 12-valve, pushrod 2.8L engine in the Citation 10 years earlier. GM engineers designed the DOHC heads and adapted the cam drive system by making use of the existing block and timing chain and then adding a secondary drive to take the belt up to the heads. Not very elegant, but the result worked. 7000RPM redline even. It was a gutsy, strong engine but put into a chassis that weighed 3400 pounds. This, IMHO, should have been the motor that succeeded the 3.1L pushrod V6 in the previous generation Z24. That car weighed 2900 pounds and would have been a killer with the DOHC V6.

Nevertheless, AFAIK, there was never a production 270HP Z34. Even GMs Syclone/Typhoon 4.3L, turbocharged Grand National beaters were "only" 280HP and the current 3.8L supercharged GTP engine, the very best of the 3.8 offerings) "only" makes 240HP, and its not even available in the Monte Carlo (Lumina's replacement); just the normally aspirated variant making 200HP and a 4-speed auto.

This is the same engine offered in the top-of-the-line Monte Carlo SS. The car weighs 3400#s, some 500 more than a PGT/MX6. Even with a 35HP advantage, I don't see it being an MX6 V6 beater.

Still, you do have to be on your toes :D

·
Registered
332 Posts
Mazda4President......... what kind of MX6 do you drive? Cause it sounds like you have trouble beating alot of cars.

Curious on what you have been losing with.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
like i said.. i drive a black 94 2.0 4 cyl with the 5 speed...and i'm sorry but i continually keep losing to these before mentioned cars....i know how to drive my car trust me i know all my shift points and shit but i have to give props to these GM cars they are just superior to JAP's I guess

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.