Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey,
i just bought a 1993 mazda mx6 2.5l 5 spd a little while ago and now it is begging to stall on me. at first it was when i was driving it for like a hour or so it started to just shut down now it is after driving it for a few minutes. i will be driving and the rpm will just drop and the car will stall. i will try starting it again but it wont start but if i let it sit for a hour or so it will start right back up but only for a few minutes and die again.
has anyone had this problem or does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
i would check out your plugs and wires. Also take off the distributor cap to see if the points are burned or wore down. Odds this isn't the problem but could help. I would almost vouch to say your fuel pump is going out. Does it do it at a certain gas level or at all times.

I once had a honda that would die at every light becasue the fuel was too low and it couldn't provide enough pumping power to suck the gas up. Yet after sitting for a second it would fire up and be fine till the next stop or hard slow down.

You could also look at your fuel filter, wouldn't hurt to change it but i highly doubt a filter would cause your car to stall at random times and then work flawlessly at others.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
one other thing i would check is the coil. Use a multimeter and check the primary and secondary coils for resistance. Secondary will have much higher resistance. I'm not sure what the specs are but any haynes manual will tell you or you can probably do a google or even an mx6 search and probably come up with them. Sorry i can't help too much, i rock a 1g. But check out your coil first. Easiest to do and will reveal a weak coil or a coil on the way out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the car dies at all amounts of fuel in it. i have about a half tank in it right now and it will still die after a few minutes.
also the distributor was replaceed about ayear ago but i dont belive the cab was. someone was saying it probibly the "hei" mod. a couple people have had the same problem and say it might be that. what do you think.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
i have no clue what the HEI mod is. I know what HEI is but i don't know what the mod is.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
that really doesn't tell me a lot. Is the HEI mod just a higher voltage coil or is this an entire computer programmed circuit?

We are talking about High Electrical Induction correct? Similar to a coil pack on a newer car?

·
Registered
250 Posts
HEI mod is to install a new seperate coil instead of the [shizzle]ty stock internal ignitor coil. It COULD be the fuel filter, sometimes a little bit of junk will clog it and then move enough to let fuel through for awhile til it clogs again, but I kinda doubt it too. Check the distributor anyway, they suck on these cars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts