Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago I accidentally broke my ignition key for my MX-6 in the trunk lock cylinder of my car. I managed to get the broken half out of the trunk lock and since i was nearly 100 miles from home at 4 in the morning i decided to put the broken half of the key in to the ignition cylinder so i could start my car and drive home. I figured that since i got the broken half of the key out of the trunk with ease that the same would apply to the ignition cylinder. Unfortionately the broken part of the key is just far enough into the ignition cylinder that i cant get it out. I went to a local repair shop and the only thing they said they could do would be to replace the ignition for about $450. I was wondering if anybody had any ideas on what i could do to get the key out on my own, or if possibly a lock smith could get the key out any cheaper. Any input on this situation would be greatly apreciated before i put down any money to fix this problem.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
I had a similar problem... I was able to get the key out with a very very fine pair of needle nose pliers. You can find them at most hardware stores, you should be able to grabe the key edges and pull it out. I keep mine in the glove box now and a spare key in my wallet since the keys are so flimsy...

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
hehe, i got spare keys everywhere...

one at my parents house, my house and my wallet. cant have enough of them :) i have an idea maybe. get some super glue, and find something to super glue to the end of the key and to say a flat-head screw driver [something to get into the key hole if necessary] when the glue is good and dry yank out the key. well its an idea.

SolarSlash

1 - 4 of 4 Posts