Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In two weeks time, the situation has gone from "the trunk opens everytime I try my key" to "the tunk refuses to open with my key". In between this there was a brief "sometimes it opens" period.

When I stick the key in, it has a lot of vertical play in it, I can wiggle it up and down by quite a bit. When I try to turn it, though, it just stops both ways ... like as if I had the wrong key in it that could still fit the hole. Luckily, I still have the trunk release, but I'd like to get this fixed.

Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas?

thanks,
-matt

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
hey...

i have the same thing for almost all my locks. for some reason they are picky. dont know what to tell ya. do you live in a cold climate? could they just be a little frozen?

SolarSlash

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, it was a lot colder around these parts two weeks ago when it worked. It's been above freezing for a while now.

-matt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got the same problem too . . . especially with my driver's side door. I've broken about 5 keys already with that door! Anyways, I just went to the Mazda dealer and bought a new lock cylinder (coded to the key that I have) and I'm going to have it installed next week. The keys are also so long and made out of a soft metal, which is a bad combination. My truck wont open with my key anymore either, (but it used to)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How much was the new lock cylinder? After purchasing, can you install it yourself?

-matt

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
locks suck!

did you buy your car used? If so the key you have might be a copy. check on it. The trunk lock in my car did the same thing until I got the lock replaced. It was like $50 or so at a lock smith. I also got remote entry and an alarm so that eliminated the whole car key thing!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To answer your question, the lock cylinder was about $65.00 Canadian to purchase, and then an extra $20.00 to get it coded. That is without the installation. I'm getting the Auto Shop class at my High School to put it in for me. They do a lot of minor stuff on my car (oil change, muffler and tip changing, locks, spark plugs and all that) with free labour. It's awesome!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey aggiedj02 . . .

You put remote keyless entry on your car? Was it a problem, because I know that the MX-6 has a really weird "electronic lock system", that isn't really all that electronic. How much did it cost, if you don't mind my asking (in Canadian or American?)

·
Registered
84 Posts
My key got to the point where it was actually twisted some so it felt like the thing was going to break everytime used it. I ended up going to a mazda dealer to get them to make me a copy and I told them it was twisted and that he needed to twist it back before he made the copy.... well of course he didn't and now my new key only works on one side. I ended up getting an alarm installed later that month and got keyless entry with it....and to answer bdonkersgoed's question, I had to get an actuator intalled which I think was only about $15 or $20 extra (US). Not too sure though cause it's been so long ago.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't forget that most Mazda dealerships (if you show your
state's registration) will cut you a key based on your VIN.
I, unfortunately can vouch that 3 dealerships in PA, MD and VA will do this!

I have had the exact same problems. With the door locks,
It was most difficult to use the keys on days where it
was below 20 degrees F and very humid. It felt like the key
would turn, but the acutal mechanism used to unlock the door
was frozen.

The trunk lock is unique itself. Use the key oriented in
one direction, and the trunk refuses to unlock, flip the key
180 degrees, and voila! no problems!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yep...I just got a couple keys cut at the dealer the other day, and he didn't even look at my key till he was done the new ones....just entered my vin into the computer and had the key code...it isn't the key for the trunk though...they can only cut the valet keys from the computer, so you are sol if you don't have the master key code. Stupid dealer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is what I've heard; Whether its true or not I dont know.

The car comes with two types of keys. One "Master" key that
opens both doors and trunk, and one "Not-so-master" key that
opens only the doors. Both will of course work in the ignition.
Sounds silly, but I know other cars have the same setup.

It can explain why none of my two keys will work on my trunk.
(Its a '93 which I bought last summer. I got two identical keys with it.)
The previous owner probably lost his "Master" key and got a copy
made of his "Not-so-master" key...

·
Registered
84 Posts
The valet key is only useful for keeping people out of your trunk if you have both the inside trunk release and the 60/40(or is it 40/60?) seat release disabled.

·
Registered
169 Posts
A year after I bought my '95, I had the same problem. When I took it to the dealer, he was too busy to take on some of the other warranty claims the car racked up, but he grabbed a can of some sort of lubricant, sprayed the living hell out of the trunk lock cylinder, told me "they all are like that," sprayed it again when that didn't work, and it's since been fine. No problems with that whatsoever. Hope you're as lucky as I was!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Use the remote to unlock the doors then you don't have to worry about the keys.

It is true there are two different keys like Norseman said.

·
Registered
20 Posts
dig_dug_mx6 - yes its true i asked my brother about it when i was messin with his keys and shit one da and he knows a guy who used to work at a mazda place and he told him all about it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts