Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i got some questions about the differences between the mazda fe dohc and the fe dohc from the 95+ Kia Sportage.... would there be any difference between the two if i was going to get forged rods / forged pistons with a turbo setup, like would the be any power difference at all ? i know that the kia motor is detuned with less compression ratio but would that make a difference one the internals are done and its force fed ?... also would the kia fe dohc bolt up to my 89' mx6 turbo gearbox ? and fit into my original engine / gearbox mounts ? cuz its pritty frikkin hard to find a mazda fe dohc atm so im thinkin bout the kia motor.

·
Registered
415 Posts
theres a few people that have connections if you need a Mazda FE3, im sure they will speak up. The Kia block lacks oil squirters in the block which is one of the many great things about the FE3. Your transmission will bolt right up and your motor mounts will be the same as with the F2T.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
The kia motor does have the oil squirters. Taken from kiapartsusa.com

0FEHH 10570A JET ASSY-OIL 1&3 2 - - $7.65
Model Code: DOHC

0FE3N 10580 JET ASSY-OIL 2&4 2 - - $7.65
Model Code: DOHC

http://www.kiausaparts.com/catalog/images/fullsize/3_1030B_1.gif

The kia motor should have the same power level, provided you get a set of genuine FE3 cams. Those are for sure different. The other problem is the crankshaft. It has an 8-bolt pattern whereas the genuine FE3 has a 6 bolt pattern. This means you'll have problems fitting the mazda flywheel and clutch. So you would need a genuine FE3 crankshaft as well.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
i have started to work at a kia dealer and have come into pocession of a kia 2.0 engine that need to be rebuilt. i have been pondering using it but i have a f2t sitting in pieces waiting for a rebuild. decisions decisions!

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
with custom rods and pistons is there any reason not to use the 2.2 crank? not really.

i thought the kia cams were supposed to be the same as the fe3n cams, ie less duration by 5deg than fe5a, but more lift and duration, and different timing to feap.

dont forget that some of the earlier kia blocks were prone to cracking in the side of one of the jackets i think, but i dont remember which years are good/bad.

the kia manifold is smaller in dia than the mazda one and even the mazda one is restrictive for you boys chasing big numbers. so that would need changing.

also all the plumbing is wrong for fwd, and also wrong for best coolant flow.

some of the bolt/sensor holes in the mazda head are untapped in the kia head too.

fred.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright im getting a few different replys here, can anybody tell me 100% what are the correct answers regarding my questions

thanks.

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
have a look at :

http://members.aol.com/solomiata/FE3.html

i think there are kia motor pics in there that show the plumbing differences.

most of the older mazda motors started life fwd, and when shifted to rwd, the coolant route is compromised to make it work/fit. its common for mx5 guys to retro fit the coolant plumbing(style at least) of the fwd counterparts. if you hammer it the cooling is less effective, and less even.

with regards the power difference, shouldnt be one with boost, and forged guts, provided you do something with the manifold.

the above link contains the dates for the bad blocks.

fred.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a Kia in my mazda, It does have oil squirters. The intake cam was suppose to be the same as the FE3, only the exhaust cam is smaller. Webcam can regrind your cams. Other than that, you are better off with a kia, they are more readily available, they come with the rwd plumbing already installed. If your putting it in a mazda truck, you will probably be megasquirting it, and using ford edis. Kia uses the wasted spark igition with mutlispark, so you can reuse the stock kia coil panks and wiring to use with ford edis. Mine works perfectly

1 - 9 of 9 Posts