Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a prestine 93 extended cab b2200, 57,000 orig miles. I am wanting to do a kia fe3 swap, to give it some extra pep, fuel economy, and fuel injection. From what I have found it would be most suitable for my application. and should bolt right in using all my accesiories, a/c, p/s, clutch, starter and so on. My question is has anyone completed this swap using the kia harness, and ecu, or is there a better way other than megasquirt or something aftermarket, to control it. The truck is carbed now. Is there a simpler pcm, harness setup that was factory from another car I could use to run it? I am planning to just weed out the wires other than what is needed to run the motor, find the pins on the ecu that need to be powered up and go from there. I have just completed and ls1 swap in my rx-7 and that is how it was done using the chevrolet harness and ecu, but I had tuning software to delete everything from the ecu that wasn't needed. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
update on his project from the MS site mailing list... was having issues with only two injectors firing, and found (i think) a dead fet, rewired to one bank, and motor started! theres also oddball racing cardomain 211233 and theres one for sale in levin (a small town in NZ) that has a haltech running it i think... maybe others undocumented too, mines months away... (but on the upward spiral)

fred.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
12streetjunkman said:
I have just completed and ls1 swap in my rx-7 and that is how it was done using the chevrolet harness and ecu...
im interested to see this Rx-7 of yours. i have a 87 that im fed up with and i was curious to see how much from modification needs to be done to fit the ls1 into the fc3s

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the help, I have spoke to karl with the odball truck, and emailed the other with the itb truck, Those are the only two completed swaps I could find, and both were running aftermarket engine management. I really don't care two much about making any more power than the stock kia motor has, just want something dependable, and finding a b2200i injection stuff is near impossible. I can get a kia motor for $685 and they have 6 of them, but most of the harnesses are cut. I was wondering if the engine harness runs all the way to the ecu, or does it tie into a body harness somewhere that I would have to get too. Or is there another easy to find car that the harness and ecu would work from like a miata or something. If you have any questions on the rx-7 swap I can help you out did it all myself, and have some tips that can save you a ton of money. here is some pics.

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
thats a cool project (mustn't have been easy), but it seems like sacrilage to put all that weight there. have you run it at the strip? theres a miata/mx5 here with the 4l quad cam all-alloy toyota v8 in it, but it can only manage 13.?s with all the weight in the front like that.

fred.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
actually this swap only weighs around 80lbs or so more than the rotary with all its associated crap, the ls1 alluminum block, aluminum heads, so that helps out, I know the turbo cars only gain 40lbs or so going to the v8 swap, The motor is set back far enough that is doesn't affect the balance of the car, as for track times I don't know, but I just had it tuned and put down 386 to the wheels with a cam only! I have done some digging today, my main concern now is the kia's crank sensor location, it reads off the clutch pressure plate, and from what I can tell it was mounted in the kia bellhousing, anyone know a way around that! I picked up a sportage harness for $5 bucks and It looks like it won't be to much trouble to power it up like the one in the 7

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
actually streetjunkman.... a straight ls1 swap weighs 50lbs less than the 13b stocker... atleast... in the TII

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, there you have it, t2 sheds more lbs than I thought. I didn't weigh mine before I started messing with it, but it weighs 2820 now, full interior, 6 point bar, and heavier than stock wheels.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
a gsl would have been an increase in weight... but the fact that it tips the scales at 2675lbs ANYWAY.... the weight of a v8 really doesnt matter

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
back to topic, anyone know if a sportage bellhousing would bolt up to the b2200 tranny, or if the b tranny could be drilled for the sensor?

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
the 2wd one should because they share the same box(at least in the earlier ones i think).

wasnt sure, so checked :

Randy said:
The 2WD Sportage from 98-2002 used a getrag trans(95-97 was the same Mazda unit)
i stand corrected on the weight thing, i knew they were all alloy, but didnt think theyd be that light.

fred.

·
Registered
527 Posts
2003NissanAltima 3.5SE5.914.601994NissanAltima GXE9.416.901993NissanAltima GXE (auto)9.617.201993NissanAltima SE8.216.402005NissanAltima SE-R (6-sp man)6.114.802003NissanMaxima 3.5SE6.415.001985NissanMaxima SE8.616.701989NissanMaxima SE8.916.901992NissanMaxima SE7.315.701995NissanMaxima SE7.415.701997NissanMaxima SE7.115.501994NissanMaxima SE (auto)8.816.702003NissanMurano SE AWD7.515.90

seems that the times wont show...sorry?..lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so I need to find me a 95-97 2wd sportage bellhousing, sounds like I shouldn't tare the truck apart just yet. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
85 Posts
the kia block bolts up to your stock b2200 transmission, just use a kia flywheel, but you can reuse all of your mazda clutch components. I just got my truck running. It's an 88 B2200 with kia motor, motorcycle throttle bodies intake, miata header, Ford edis iginition, and MegaSquirt running fuel management. Once I repair the burnt FET in the MS like Fred said, I'll be burnin rubber yo!

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
12streetjunkman said:
actually this swap only weighs around 80lbs or so more than the rotary with all its associated crap, the ls1 alluminum block, aluminum heads, so that helps out, I know the turbo cars only gain 40lbs or so going to the v8 swap, The motor is set back far enough that is doesn't affect the balance of the car, as for track times I don't know, but I just had it tuned and put down 386 to the wheels with a cam only! I have done some digging today, my main concern now is the kia's crank sensor location, it reads off the clutch pressure plate, and from what I can tell it was mounted in the kia bellhousing, anyone know a way around that! I picked up a sportage harness for $5 bucks and It looks like it won't be to much trouble to power it up like the one in the 7
Nice car.

That will be my next project. RX7 5.0 twin turbo with megasquirt'n'spark.

Shooting for 600+ on pump gas. Just gotta find a shell. And not some beater either, I'm not going to buy until I find one in absolute perfect shape. Looks like yours is in very good shape. nice work

1 - 20 of 45 Posts