Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody successfully built kick panel enclosures for 5 1/4" component sets. I really want to do this and would appreciate knowing some tricks, especially where to put the fuse box. Many Thanks....

·
Registered
446 Posts
It is not necessary to move the fuse box in the 2nd gen mx-6. Your kicks won't need to be that BIG! I've done it; actually this is my third car with custom kickpanels. I started with an '84 Accord, then an '86 Mazda B2000 (this had a phat fiberglass box behind the rear buckets for 3 JL10W6s and you could still move the seats clear back. DAMN that car was loud!) Currently, my MX-6 has glassed kickpanels, door-pods, and sub box. I just glassed a removeable enclosure for a 12" Solo Baric into the rear quarter panel of my girlfriend's car.

Fiberglass is not that difficult to work with. Your 1st project will probably look like shit, but your subsequent efforts will improve as you go. Do your first kickpanel project on your sister's car or something:)

Realize that you WILL make a mess and fiberglass does NOT come off anything (this includes your tools, your garage, YOU, and most importantly YOUR CAR!). Wear gloves and put down a LOT of newspaper and duct tape. Duct tape your interior with high-grade duct tape. Use two or three layers to be safe. Purchase your supplies (Fiberglass cloth & cloth/mat, resin, fiberglass catalyst, bondo, bondo catalyst, gloves, duct tape, pantyhose (seriously), sand paper, grinder (not a must, but very helpful), dust masks, goggles, and a few hundred copies of your favorite Sunday paper) Prep your work area well. This is where the newspaper and duct tape comes into play. Cut small scraps of fiberglass cloth and cloth/mat to varying sizes. Mix up some resin/catalyst (maybe 1/8 of a gallon at a time. I use the bottom of a milk jug.) Put on your gloves. Soak the fiberglass one piece at a time and lay it down in the corner of your kickpanel area. Go ahead an extend liberally beyond your intended kickpanel area. Layer up the sides and bottom and allow to cure. Build this up a few layers. Cut a baffel out of MDF (type of wood isn't really too critical here actually). The width really depends on your aethetic desires out of the finished product. My current setup uses a two layers of 1/2" MDF; 1 for the driver and tweeter to mount to and another to sit on top of that surrounding the speakers to create a flushed appearance. The baffle doesn't really need to be too much larger than the speakers. Spend some time determining the desired shape; it really determines a large part of the finished product's visual aspect. Its also a good idea when considering this shape to make sure it works equally well on both sides of the car. For the best appearance, you'll want the same size and shape baffle at the same angle on each side. Don't worry too much about the side profile of the baffel; it'll be taken care of later. Cut the speaker holes into the baffel and spend some time determining position. I've found that I get what I'm looking for by sitting in the opposite seat from the baffel and having someone move it until I can look over and have the mid-woofer staring directly back at me. Once you've determined a position, cut up some 1" strips of MDF in varying lengths (a dozen or so ranging from 2" to 5" or so should do fine). Mix up some bondo and bondo catalyst. (about a 1 to 1.5 cups worth) Smear the bondo onto both ends of an MDF strip and sandwich them between the MDF baffle and fiberglass shell. Make sure you have at least 3 or 4 good solid supports like this and let the bondo dry (5 minutes) while holding the contraption at the appropriate angle. 2 people makes things a lot easier at this point. once the bondo has cured, remove the design from the car. Eyeball the general shape and cut the fiberglass down to size. Now stretch the pantyhose (did I mention these need to be fat chicks' pantyhose?) around the design. Soak the material in fiberglass resin/catalyst. Start to layer this up until if feels good and sturdy, allowing time to dry between coats. Once it's solid, trim any excess and use your grinder and sandpaper to smooth things out. Depending on your desired appearance, you'll need to do more or less sanding. If you want to cover the pods in carpeting, you don't need to be perfect. If you're going to cover in vinyl of sand down for painting, you'll need to smooth things out with bondo and a whole bunch of sanding. Drill holes for speaker wire, bolt the pods to your car, install the drivers and you're done. Its really not bad. I know I missed a lot of the details, but most are learned by experience. Remember to take your time and use caution. Takes a LONG time, creates noxious fumes OPEN YOUR GARAGE DOOR OR AT LEAST A WINDOW!!, and your first couple probably won't look the best, but its worth it!! My car sounds friggin' awesome!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya don't happen to have any pictures of that drivers side do ya?? Ive only ever seen a few cars with kicks, and they were benz's and trucks, with q-forms made for em. I kinda have some clue as to working with fibreglass, so once I see a design, I'll be able to rig somethin up. Thanks for your reply, I'll definately be keepin it on file for when I start this project...I hate my door speakers!!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Sorry man - no digital camera. I've got Diamond Audio S500S 5.25" components in there and they look just as sweet as they sound. They don't interfere with driving at all and I still have access to my fuses. Where in Canada do you live? I loved Vancouver the few times I've been up there. Can't seriously contemplate a trip, but just curious.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do live just outside Vancouver right now, but am moving back to Toronto area very soon. I really wanted to make a trip down the coast before I left here, but can't do it right now...oh well, i'll be back here in a year anyway.
I am gonna start playin around with some ideas in cardboard, so I can see how the drivers side will work. My local shop is gonna hook me up with a pretty sweet deal on the top end fosgate components and 4 x 100 amp, so I'm thinkin I might do this in the next couple weeks....It'll be pretty killer to have em fo my drive back east!!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Good luck. If I ever feel the need for a camera, I'll post all kinds of pics here, but don't anyone hold their breath:)

·
Registered
358 Posts
canadian-as-hell said:
My local shop is gonna hook me up with a pretty sweet deal on the top end fosgate components and 4 x 100 amp, so I'm thinkin I might do this in the next couple weeks....
Just wondering which local shop you're referring to? I'm in the Vancouver area too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts