Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My God, last night coming home from work there was an old beetle at the lights. Now granted it was 3am and the tempurature set a new record low : -34 , Windchill 2300 so really it felt like it was -49. I had boost started 2 cars but left it running for a good 20 minutes. ANYWAY, So i get to the lights, no ice on the roads, he was edging, and we both opened it up! I have a 93 MX-6 4-cl. Anyway, off the line i had a car length because his tires were sqealing, but, he just blew by me.
About 2 minutes later i caught up to him at a light, he rolled down him window, i rolled down mine and he just said one thing: NITRO!
Anyway, after i found that out i didn't feel so stupid. Not only does he have NITRO but, must have some kind of crazy engine to be able to handle that!
A few night before however, I killed a newer Malibu. There were a bunch of Paki Cab Driver look alikes, and wanted to race. We did, and I don't think they'll try and race again. They kept up with me until I let my 3rd Gear redline, poped into forth and was gone!
Anyway, hope you found these interesting! Later dudes,

Little Bastard,

·
Registered
127 Posts
I wonder what else he did to that bug. My dad told me a story of when he was in the service that he new a guy who put a Porsche engine in a bug. I guess they where a easy swap. that would have been one hell of a fast bug.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have a friedn that is quite into Bugs. And yes you can drop certain Porsche engines in them. You would be surprised at what you can do to them. All it takes is determination and money.

G

·
Yeah, even 110 HP is FAST

I knew a guy in high school who chopped his bug in a variety of ways...decreasing the weight. He had a nice little racer weighing in at about 1400lbs and pumping 110HP out of a 1700cc engine. That's a weight to power ratio of 12.7:1 compared to 17.0:1 for a 2.5L MX-6. Also, as has been said, there are bugs out there with Porsche engines as well. Even a 2.0L engine from a 914 can be modded to 200+ HP. A bug with one of these would be quite a threat to even some of the fastest cars out there! JDean55, That sucks getting beat by a NOS bug though!!! I bet he enjoyed it.

·
Registered
483 Posts
yeah, my friends knows someone who is putting a rotary into a bug...it is a lot of work from what i hear....that is crazy.

Anthony

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Couldn't Belive It~

Ahhhh......i couldn't belive it. I mean it seems as though the car was not slowing down one bit. It's the fastest acceleration i have ever seen on any car on the Street. I mean, i've even seen a few Vipers, but this thing just took off. And continued too without any hesitation! Just purely crazy! And considering it was so cold too just took me by suprise. So far the bug, and the malibu have been the only two cars i have raced.
Who do you think would win between a 94 MX-6, 6Cyl Automatic, V.S a 93 MX-6, 4Cly Standered?
Just wondering. Talk to you guys later,

Little Bastard,

·
Registered
179 Posts
bugs are cool.
my friend had a 93 mustang cobra, very very fast, we were riding around and came up to a light and there was a 64' vw beetle there. he was reving his engine, we started laughing. well the light turned green and we didn't even have a chance, it just took off. i mean it was fast as hell.
we were so astonished. so my friends sold his mustang the next week and bought a bug. he is in the middle of fixing it up. You can do alot to those little engines.

G

·
Kharman Ghias

If you want handling and looks too...go with a modded Ghia!!! I sure don't see many of those around these days.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey integrale4wd

Uh uh....no way would a six even stand a chance! I guess you would have had to of been there to belive it! Personally, i dought the thing would even be steet legal if they had to take a test! Just way to fast! And the wheel well's must have been modified because the sized of the tires was like about 1 foot! The whole thing wasn't original. It was most likely something the guy built around the engine!

Little Bastard,

·
Registered
483 Posts
sorry man

dear dean,

I just made a guess. I forgot to add on my friends friend bug with the rotary engine...they put a porsche 914 gearbox...ain't that crazy?

laterz,

Anthony

·
Registered
332 Posts
Two words........German Engineering.

nuf said.

·
Registered
897 Posts
it's turbo charged

my co-worker was telling me about a his friend who has a 30 psi turbo charged bug and can run 10 sec 1/4s. i thought he was b/s'ng til i read your story :D

·
Registered
734 Posts
Re: it's turbo charged

alter ego said:
my co-worker was telling me about a his friend who has a 30 psi turbo charged bug and can run 10 sec 1/4s. i thought he was b/s'ng til i read your story :D
DAMN!!! I couln't get near a 10 even if I supercharged my 8cyl!! I think that is faster than a regular Mclaren... with McLaren running about a 10.9-11.2 or something!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Totally Belive It!

You know what....I can totally belive that! The 1/4 in 10. The guy that was in it was older. Probly about mid 30's and probly someone with a little bit of cash! Anyway, he must have dropped something powerful into it. It toally reminded me of a Porsche. Everytime he was shifting, I could tell when he put it into another gear because the entire frount end would lift a bit! I mean, not like 1/2 a foot or anything, however you could see that the frount end would barely lift . I think that at the start, his frount tires came off the ground. And that's what i mean when I say that I bet it's not even street legal! I am going to try and find the owner of this car and find out exactly what he's got. However, this will only happen if i see him again!
OH, did I mention, It's Orange, with NEON ORange lights underneth the car! I didn't see them at first but i think he turned them on for the race!
We were both having fun! It was.

Little Bastard,

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What do you think was in it?

Just what the hell do you think could be put in a bug, mixed with the NITRO he told me he had, enough to make the frount end lift??
(Like I had a Chance!! Good thing it wasn't for pink slips or something :)

Little Bastard,

G

·
Re: What do you think was in it?

JDean55 said:
Just what the hell do you think could be put in a bug, mixed with the NITRO he told me he had, enough to make the frount end lift??
(Like I had a Chance!! Good thing it wasn't for pink slips or something :)

Little Bastard,
Supercharger!!! They do make them for Bugs!!! You can also get triple carb 2bbl's and all kinds of crazy stuff. With the engine over the rear wheels, a heavily modded bug can still get traction, and I've seen quarter mile pics of bugs pulling wheelies.

[Edited by tlk on 12-13-2000 at 02:04 PM]

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dammit,

Ohhh...i get so angry because all anyone every writes on here is about Nissian's, and Honda's and etc..etc..
Isn't there ANYONE who has raced a good old american car. OR, an older classic like the Beetle??
I think what we as MX-6 owners should do is just NOT RACE anymore. If someone wants to race just say " NO chance" and DON'T Give them a chance. That way no one will say MX-SUCKS! They'll just think "They must be fast because he/she's too good to race me!"

Little Bastard,
(Sorry, tired, just ramblin' on!)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yip, here in S.A the guys love using 13b rotary engines in those beetles, man they run the low 13s with those engines, just a plain rotary engine bridgeported and a single 45mm weber sidedraught carburettor , and then watch that bug run!!.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
a 13b in a beetle? ouch!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts