Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, this is my first day here so I'm not sure if any of you know about this ECU Upgrade. Superchips.com has an ECU upgrade for 87-91 MX-6/626's, naturally aspirated and turbo cars. The Turbo ECU upgrade gives you +29HP and +45 ft/lbs of torque. This upgrade also gives an extra 5PSI of boost pressure and takes 1.5 seconds off the 0-60 time. On the naturally aspirated models you get +11HP and +16 ft/lbs. of torque. Costs for the Turbo ECU upgrade is $500 U.S. dollars and to me is well worth it, this also comes with a brass bleed valve for your turbo. The NA models ECU upgrade costs $395 U.S. For all you 2nd generation guys: 2.0L gets +11HP and +16 ft/lbs. of torque and 2.5L's get +16HP and +20 ft/lbs. of torque. 2nd Gen. ECUs are also $395 U.S. I have owned a '91 LX for the past 7 years and it is and has been an excellent car, I currently have 177,000 miles on it and it still runs strong. I just purchased a '90 GT with 98,000 miles on it for $600, it's hit in the front, no biggie, I work at a body shop. I'm seriously considering turning this GT car into a racer. So if anyone out there has any suggestions for me on what to do with the car feel free to let me know. I'll post pics of my GT and LX as soon as I get these pics developed and scanned.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Suggestion; get a upgrade chip from JayB for about $250 and buy a manual boost controller for $50 and pocket the difference of that $500 superchips upgrade and get yourself some more mods... :)

·
Registered
666 Posts
Haahahaha, or find a Jay B chip for $125 like *I* did and build your own brass bleed valve for $9.00 :cool:
I admit, the grainger type boost controller is better, but, the bleed valve is working fine for now.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Superchips is a rip-off. They dont even actually remove the boost cut, they just raise it. Get a $35 grainger valve and a Jay B ECU upgrade. There are other ways to do it without upgrading the ECU but they're more complicated (and more expensive).

·
Registered
268 Posts
Perform a search in the first gen sections and you'll find some other options. I was looking into a chiip upgrade a while back and I think I posted the contact info for Jay B.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, thanks for replying. Like I said I'm new and I haven't found everything available for the GT models and I appreciate all of your input. Do any of you know the HP and torque gains from the Jay B upgrade? If this info has been posted before just let me know where it's at and I'll check it out. Thanks again.

JohnathanJ

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Performance gains are in direct relation to the mods that have been done to the car. A chip alone will not give you much extra power.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks

Thanks everyone for replying, I appreciate the information and your input. I have my '90 GT in the shop out here right now. I pulled the front end out and got everything pretty much ready to put the radiator support in. I'm going to go ahead and replace the three supports underneath the front of the car. I've decided that after I put the new radiator support and bottom supports in I'm going to stick a radiator in it and see what it's like on the road (I've never driven a GT before). If I like it then it'll become a little stomper for all these bubble-blowing Honda and Acuras driving around. Another thing, there's this guy that comes to our local cruising strip with a 1st Gen. GT with Nitrous. My friend was their cruising and talked to him but he didn't get to ask him what size shot he was using. Have any of you tried nitrous on your GT's? I have a 25 pound bottle and all the set-up to hook it up on my 6 and I'm seriously considering this, maybe a 50 or 75 shot but no bigger. Anymore suggestions on what to do with my GT would be appreciated and also any info on hooking NOS to it. Take care.

JohnathanJ

·
Registered
268 Posts
I think you'll be very happy with the performance you get out of your GT even without nitrous. There a few people with upgraded turbos around here, but I know of no first gens with nitrous.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Wow, a GT with a 50 shot would be one fast son of a bitch. Watch out for the torque steer though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts