Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll admit I didn't dig too deep to see if there was a thread already on it but my 1993 DE sounds like it spun a rod bearing.

Taking it out soon and checking everything, seeing if it'd be easier just to rebuild than to swap the ZE in.

Just wondering about tips or if it's possible to just direct fit it. Or even possible to swap just the internals and get everything for that done.

Thank you for the help everyone.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
The KLZE is a direct fit.
You might possibly need to swap the part just under the coolant filler cap (forgotten what it's called) because your 93 is different, since it has the extra coolant temperature sensor that controls the fans.
And I'm trying to remember if you need to swap something for the EGR valve.
But it's very straightforward.

And welcome to the board! (Not many of us left nowadays.)

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
This looks like a good thread. (There are many others, mostly in the "Other performance" section.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The KLZE is a direct fit.
You might possibly need to swap the part just under the coolant filler cap (forgotten what it's called) because your 93 is different, since it has the extra coolant temperature sensor that controls the fans.
And I'm trying to remember if you need to swap something for the EGR valve.
But it's very straightforward.

And welcome to the board! (Not many of us left nowadays.)
Ok awesome I appreciate it I actually ended up buying an automatic DE and I'm just going to try to get that to fit for rn.
But no worries I've been thinking about getting a ZE sooner or later and building it out of the car just so I can have more ease with it and it won't take up as much room.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have any tips or ideas on how to make this automatic engine work with my manual transmission, then I am seriously all ears. In process of taking the old engine out to assess the damage and see if it's savable

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it's exactly the same engine for the automatic and manual transmission cars.
Actually turns out had to replace everything on the outside of the block pretty much, it's taken a while waiting for parts but it should be going in tomorrow and giving it a try.

Here's a list of what I can remember swapping from the old motor to the new one and what new parts I ordered:
  • Intake manifold/ throttle body
  • Oil pan (had forklift damage)/ new oil filter
  • Thermostat
  • Valve covers and new gaskets
  • Alternator
  • Exhaust heads
  • Engine mount studs
  • New mounts all around
  • Swapped ac
  • Egr valve
  • Distributer
  • Spark plugs and wires
  • Pulleys were damaged
  • Most of the hoses and vacuum lines
That's what I can remember so far.

This is the old motor the manual engine:

I'll take a picture of the new one sadly I thought I had a picture from before swapping the parts but I dont. I'll just post the result of this Frankenstein engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts