Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Awesome build man, was thinking about doing this back in the day with a ZE before FE3's showed up, so Im glad youre giving it a go! Somewhat off topic but did your car actually come with a manual rack or was it a DIY? Regardless, this is good stuff dude, good luck!:tup:

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
all those headache could have been prevented by just swap kl engine harness only and use the stock existing 89gt harness instead of riping the car apart. but kudo to you for going to an extreme.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Since my 89 has a manual rack. I'm am deleting P/S. I know that the water is driven off the same drive and don't want to run the grooved side of the belt on the tensioner. Do you think I could use a fan spacer to bring out the pulley, so it can be run on the alternator drive? I would need to get a belt one rib thinner.
I need moar info on this fabled manual rack, please?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
all those headache could have been prevented by just swap kl engine harness only and use the stock existing 89gt harness instead of riping the car apart. but kudo to you for going to an extreme.
I tried, but the all of the harnesses connect together. It's not like the 89 harness where it is all by itself. The ECU harness is seperate from the VRIS harness. The VRIS harness plugs into the Main Fuse box. Then thats into the in-car fuse box. The OBDII port is on a separate harness from the ECU. I didn't see any easier way to do it. I will also have Ford Keyless entry.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
To answer everyones question about the rack. I bought it from a member on here. Forgot his screen name, but his name is Frank Dekker. I bought it about two years ago now for $200 shipped from Germany. Its off of a 626. After have had driven that car with out a P/S pump on a power rack for a year. Then switching to the manual rack. It feels like a had power steering again. Huge difference.

Thanks everyone for the support. Anyone have headlight switch and turn signal switch pigtail with about a foot of wire still intact from a 1G PGT?

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
so on the power steering, I haven't had time to look at it yet, but I don't have a belt for it, so I might not have ever known how he did it...but you could just get a belt that will fit over the 2 existing pulleys...I had to do that once on mine, last year my safety inspection said my car was supposed to have power steering on it, and they wouldn't pass it without it, so I put a pump on and everything, but could not fit the a/c pulley for tension b/c of my i/c, so I just bought a belt that fit the 2, installed it with a screwdriver and someone turning the crank with a ratchet...may be at least a way to get it going while you figure out a better way...

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Ok so I ordered a 1st Gen N/A M/T trans mounts for the rear. I know it will bolt up to the trans just no sure about the frames. We will see. I think it is going to work. The Pacesetters almost fit perfect it's just that the rear primary flange needs to be rotated a little. It hits the heat shield on the rack.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
I ended up using a 2G MX6 radiator. Able to use stock hoses. Just zipped tied it in place. Looks really nice. I'll post pics when I get a chance.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
The passenger side hose is a 1st gen upper hose. All lights work, but only when my headlights are on does the parking, markers, tails turn on. On the first click of the switch nothing happens. I can't get highs to work. If I hook them up to my foglight switch they work, but won't have fogs. The nipple on the air separater broke off. I'll see if I can come up with something. Now I need to hook up my gauges. I need the axles, control arms, and upper strut mounts. Front and rear mounts. The rear mount should be coming in soon. Also The driver side mount need to be modifed. As do the rear headers because they hit the rack. Then I'm done.

61 - 80 of 138 Posts