Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have 1994 Miata with 1993 KLZE and currently running a KL01D ECU with KL-02 VAF.

Building the car for Time Attack and lapping (what you guys refer to as HPDE).

Here are a few pics:

à

This is what the engine bay looks like, except with NGK wires now:

So...

Step 1:

I just pulled the trigger on a
- Stratified fully built ECU

- Install instructions

- Simple jumper wiring instructions specific to MX6s

- I'll be going with and IAT from Stratified, probably the standard GM IAT for Megasquirt.

- Getting rid of the VAF.

------- From there, I'll get the car running with the ECU and base tune. Fix any bugs, if any and maybe do a dyno run for future comparison.

Step 2:

- Get a coil pack (Are there better options??)
- Crank Wheel 36-1
- Custom plug wires....???
- Fabricate bracket of some sort to hold the coilpack

**** Now, this is where I see lots of info, but from different years.
What is the BEST setup for running coilpacks with a MSII V3 board, which is what I think the stratified is based off of??

If you can see in the picture, my distributor is against the firewall. It means lifting the engine just to remove it. So the disty and cam sensor just might stay in there. Can I use that instead of a 36-1? or is it preferable to just be a man, lift the engine and get rid of the disty?

----- Once I get coilpacks sorted out, I'm going to do more base tuning and get it running properly, probably some dyno tuning as well.

Step 3 (end of summer or over winter):

- Get TWO GSXr 1000 ITBs
- Cut off the 4th throttle intake on each
- Fab a bracket for fuel rail
- Whatever other fabrication is necessary to make this run

---- Tune dyno, dyno dyno, tune.

RACE the shit out of the car till the engine dies

THEN, build high reving KL 2.8 engine :)

Guys, Ive done allot of research. I think I have most of this understood.
I'll be getting, I assume, I little help from Stratified to get this running at first.

Is there anything major that I forgot? Anything that can be done differently, better, cheaper yet still good?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks !!!

Chris

p.s. I have been lurking for the past few months and reading up on tons of great info. I would like to thank the community and administrators for the wealth of information contained here.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
With my setup i used the later 36-1 wheel, Haltech hall sensor (The stock crank sensor should work ok on megasquirt, i just found it easier to build a new circuit, stock circuit is a little strange), 6x AEM Smart coils (1gn-1A works fine), and fired them directly from Haltech PS1000.

Not sure if this helps you, but.... hey? Free info? :D

I'm actually parting that car out, fwiw.

Reactions: SpIcEz

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'M going to try the method where it uses the distributors sensor for ignition, since its already there and hard to take out anyways.

Dropped the Stratified ECU idea, because someone offered me an MSII V3 Board with custom harness for MX6 with piggy back for stock ECU (I assume for idle control).

I inspected the board thoroughly and all mods are there for KL engines. Harness is well done with identifications. Came with the GM IAT. (need a bung).

I just plugged into it and it detected the firmware 3.2.1.
Now I need to figure out how to use TunerStudio MS :)

BTW, I opened up my KL01D ECU and there was a chip in it, but I cant find much info.

Anyone know anything about this chip?

INNOVATiVE AUTOSPORTS
FORD PROBE KLZE RACE

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
Like Like Like.

Reactions: SpIcEz

·
Registered
657 Posts
Damn that chip is well over a decade old, They used to sell them on ebay. from what I can remember is they are the same as the probinator klze chips.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Installed the MS2 last weekend.

The ignition transistor seems blown, so only controlling fueling.
KL01D ecu installed in parallel for ignition, fan ctrl and idle ctrl.

With proper fueling my misfire problem is gone.
Seems the stock ecu was either too rich or poor, hard to tell, but it was causing misfires.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont know if yours was used, but yeah, you never know what you get.

But I'll get it fixed. I was lucky to find a guy that knows his stuff inside out.
The money spent for his help was well worth it.

Not one second wasted. And a great tune on for the fueling.

I'll be doing the mods to fix ignition, go coil on plug and full standalone.

- Idle air control
- Fan control
- Tach output

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys,

I have 1994 Miata with 1993 KLZE and currently running a KL01D ECU with KL-02 VAF.

Building the car for Time Attack and lapping (what you guys refer to as HPDE).

Here are a few pics:

à

This is what the engine bay looks like, except with NGK wires now:

So...

Step 1:

I just pulled the trigger on a
- Stratified fully built ECU

- Install instructions

- Simple jumper wiring instructions specific to MX6s

- I'll be going with and IAT from Stratified, probably the standard GM IAT for Megasquirt.

- Getting rid of the VAF.

------- From there, I'll get the car running with the ECU and base tune. Fix any bugs, if any and maybe do a dyno run for future comparison.

Step 2:

• Get a coil pack (Are there better options??)
  • Crank Wheel 36-1
  • Custom plug wires....???
  • Fabricate bracket of some sort to hold the coilpack

**** Now, this is where I see lots of info, but from different years.
What is the BEST setup for running coilpacks with a MSII V3 board, which is what I think the stratified is based off of??

If you can see in the picture, my distributor is against the firewall. It means lifting the engine just to remove it. So the disty and cam sensor just might stay in there. Can I use that instead of a 36-1? or is it preferable to just be a man, lift the engine and get rid of the disty?

----- Once I get coilpacks sorted out, I'm going to do more base tuning and get it running properly, probably some dyno tuning as well.

Step 3 (end of summer or over winter):

• Get TWO GSXr 1000 ITBs
  • Cut off the 4th throttle intake on each
  • Fab a bracket for fuel rail
  • Whatever other fabrication is necessary to make this run

---- Tune dyno, dyno dyno, tune.

RACE the shit out of the car till the engine dies

THEN, build high reving KL 2.8 engine :)

Guys, Ive done allot of research. I think I have most of this understood.
I'll be getting, I assume, I little help from Stratified to get this running at first.

Is there anything major that I forgot? Anything that can be done differently, better, cheaper yet still good?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks !!!

Chris

p.s. I have been lurking for the past few months and reading up on tons of great info. I would like to thank the community and administrators for the wealth of information contained here.
I just installed my ecu

1 - 11 of 11 Posts