Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok if I had a KL-ZE and wanted to get all I could out of it what to do?

I could put a header on it (any brand better you think?) and defintaly getting the borla catback exhaust on it.

Those combined with a high flow cat (where can I find one for the mx? cost?)

Do they make roller rockers and roller lifts for the KL-ZE?

What else could I do without overhauling the thing?

Please rank the following in HP and $ to the best of your knowledge:

High Flow catalyctic
Cat back exhaust
Roller Cam
Roller Rockers
Header

And also do they make dual ignition for this?

Please name any other mods you can think of.. sorry for the long post thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
RacerX51 said:
Ok if I had a KL-ZE and wanted to get all I could out of it what to do?
All the bolt-ons that work for a KL03 will work for a KLZE.

I could put a header on it (any brand better you think?)
Please do a search on this. Executive summary: Pacesetters seem to give higher power gains & lowest cost but poorest quality and objectionable (to some) exhaust note. Hotshot, Bosal & MSDS (Hotshot) are pricier and will last longer (and much less finicky joints) but give less power overall than Pacesetters.

Do they make roller rockers and roller lifts for the KL-ZE?
Um...no. The V6, with DOHC, doesn't require rocker arms; the cam lobes directly act on the hydraulic lash adjusters. There's no room in the head for a roller mechanism on the lifters anyway.

Please rank the following in HP and $ to the best of your knowledge:

High Flow catalyctic
Cat back exhaust
Roller Cam
Roller Rockers
Header
In order:

1) +2HP maybe. More if your current cat is clogged
2) +3HP maybe.
3) No such thing for the KL V6.
4) No such thing for the KL V6.
5) Roughly +9 if Pacesetters, +5 if anything else.

And also do they make dual ignition for this?
Please define "dual ignition". You can adapt MSD-style boxes to the engines worth nominal (read "small") gains.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dual ignition is running 8 plugs...... or in this case 12 plugs to 4 or six cylinders..my friend bought this add on for his ford ranger and I was wandering if any such thing exhisted on our market.....

What about NOS in a ZE? I have heard both sides of the story.... someone care to clarify?

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have never heard of putting a twin spark engine on a mazda...you can only do that with an Alfa Romeo ;)

I have heard about NOS on a KLZE isn't safe for it, from what I can imagine is the compression ratio being different from the KL03, but someone else will clarify that for you.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok i know the american spec computer will work with the jspec engine....... but what would happen if i had an upgraded american computer (as in sending it to JET). Would it still give the horse power that it would in the 03? Or are the VRIS points and other things too far off in the upgraded chip?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts