Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I heard that it wouldn't pass e-check? I found a nice 1995 626 for 1700 but the engine smokes. I was thinking maybe i could get a ZE for it but is it legal? The engine that smokes has 95000 miles on it, so repairing it isnt a plan but replacing it is....the ze would be nice....

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Alot depends on where you are located. The KLZE (at least the ones I've heard of/seen) have no provision for EGR - exhaust gas recirculation. As such, they may not pass a visual inspection (it would take a keen-eyed inspector to notice this...) but it may also fail the NOx portion of any emissions testing done. I believe it's possible to retrofit an EGR system (drilling a few holes, tapping etc) if need be.

If your locale has emissions testing (and not all do), you might get some grief. If you have no inspections and/or testing, you'll be fine. The 'ZE is a very popular swap and not many people seem to be reporting grief at testing stations.

"Your mileage may vary" :D

·
Registered
579 Posts
I thought they would be clean, considering they're from Japan, and they scrap their engines at about 30,000 kms due to the clean air act 'n all....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts