Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant quite remember what the standard compression numbers are on the KLDE. I think they were 210 out of the factory. Well if they are, I am pretty pleased with these numbers after boosting on this engine for 6 months on a pretty decent (but by no means perfect, tune).

1. 190
2. 190
3. 185
4. 190
5. 190
6. 185

Now this engine is a standard KLDE that the car came with from factory. It has done 200000+ km's, I have thrashed the tits off it, the previous owner was a young guy, so he probably thrashed it too. But those numbers are basically brand new. Compression jumped up right away no problem, very strong motor. Just goes to show what regular oil changes can achieve .

Oh yer and as is I put down 174kw at 9psi with this engine. After looking at the timing map, it was barely touched at all from the old ZE tune and is very conservative. There is more in it to be had for sure . I was putting aside a bit of cash to rebuild the ZE, just a hone, clean up and some new rings to give its life a start over, but from the looks of things this engine will be kicking for a while yet.

Oh yer btw, Japanese people suck big balls. They dont take care of their cars :). Low km's sure, but probably has had about 2 oil changes since new.

The ZE's compression was about 170 across, but cylinder 1 and 3 were like 150 or something. They were the 2 cylinders that blew their rings.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Oh yer btw, Japanese people suck big balls. They dont take care of their cars :). Low km's sure, but probably has had about 2 oil changes since new.
totally off topic, but i was told that they have to replace their motors every 60k (might be 30k, i cant remember) because of smog rules. So they figure that if they have to buy a new motor why take care of the one they have. That is why most imported ZE's are right around that number of miles.
no idea if that holds any water though.

anyways, those sound like good compression numbers for the situation that motors been in/thru.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
60k! That is nothing :). If that is true It would explain it a bit. Whatever the reason is, it is very true that the Japs do not take care of their cars. The most likely reason being that they do not intend on keeping it for very long so why bother I guess.

Yer I was pretty pleased with those numbers. My oil pump is leaking so I need to replace it, but before I got stuck in I did a compression test to see if it would even be worth the time, it is :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts