Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i searched high & low & can't find an apparent answer if the millenia pistons are any different then the Normal DE pistons or if its a change to the ZE heads that equates the supposed .3 compression increase.

can anyone shed some light on this subject????

·
Registered
14 Posts
i know that it also used a intake manifold that looks just the the curved neck ze. i believe that it also flows better than the mx6 de manifold. not sure about that cams but that would explain the slight increase to 170 hp instead of 160-164 hp

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its very well possible that the .3 compression can come from the cylinder head.
Im looking for a clear answer if the pistons are truely different. Im leaning towards saying mazda used the same pistons.

"onlymazdas" ^ i've see that spec list. it doesn't help answer my question unfortunately.

im surprised no ones documented pictures of the various pistons or anything.... or if someone has please link me

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
i know that it also used a intake manifold that looks just the the curved neck ze. i believe that it also flows better than the mx6 de manifold. not sure about that cams but that would explain the slight increase to 170 hp instead of 160-164 hp

Other than the US intakes having an EGR fitted they are the same im's.

And from observations the Curved neck manies do seem to have a better flow path than the DE mani but the longer neck seems to bias the manifold toward the lower end of the RPM range making it a torque producing manifold comparatively and limmiting it's top end potential.

The KL-G4 IM seems to have the best flow of them all and with some work seems to show gains over a similarly re worked straight neck ZE intake.

I have heard from a member who said he compared the DE and curved neck DE pistons and that the curved neck pistons had a slightly shalower dish but I still have no picture evidence.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'm pretty sure that at least for one year, the Millenia did have KL31 heads.

The millenia was only a 2.3L engine, so that would account for the difference, wouldn't it?

·
Registered
319 Posts
I was just doing some searching like you, but I think most Millenias have only 9.2:1. It's only the Miller's cycle 2.3 L that has the higher compression, seems like.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts