Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I read the KLZE faqs but it really didn't tell anything about my problem i'm having. Ok i'll start off with the trials we did. I got a KLZE from one of the members but it didn't have a tag on it but he said it was a KL31. And i read that it will only work with the JE50 MAF/VAF. Well when i put in the KL31 ecu and the JE50, i hit about 5000 rpms in 1st gear and it starts jumping or studdering. So i drove it around a little bit thinking that it had to adjust but it keeps on doing it. So my brother has the KLDE (the american engine) in his and we thought maybe the JE50 would work in his and it did (not sure but should the JE50 work with the American engine?) And then we tried my original KL02 VAF and it worked with the KLZE ecu. Now i don't know if the JE50 is bad or the ECU isn't a KLZE ECU. Tried these tests and got no where. Do you have any suggestions on this problem i'm having. I also noticed the KL01 ecu i had in the car has the yellow male connectors and the one i got (KL31 ECU) has dark grey male connectors. Not sure if this means anything but just trying to get to the root of the problem.

Thanks,
Mario

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The idle with the JE50 was at about 680 and the KL VAF was at about 690. Those are estimates. And with the KL it doesn't do the same thing as the JE50 was doing. Right now i still have the KL31 ecu in but i have the KL in instead because it worked better (didn't studder).

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Yep, I'm going to agree with DOM (karma to you) that it's probably a stock ECU with at best a chip to adjust VRIS. This is why it runs fine on the stock KL02 VAF (not MAF).

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
They aren't quite "interchangable" as far as I know. If you use one where you should use the other, it should throw off your air fuel.

I would use the right VAF for the EPROM and be done.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
actually your car wouldnt even start if u use the kl31 with the klo1 vaf, or if u use the kl01 ecu with the je50. so if your car started with unmarked ecu and the a-spec vaf, you most like got ripped off. last time i saw an ecu with the grey connectors it was not marked KL31 OR KL36.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
It's unfortunate how members easily take advantage of others. I would suggest you learn from this and be anal about proof about things before you buy them.

In this case, I'd have requested pictures of the sticker. Of course, you can swap the guts, but that takes quite a bit of effort and likely a worthy gamble.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
You're assuming your JE-50 VAF is working correctly.

It WILL start with the wrong VAF attached. In fact, it willl start with NO VAF attached, things will just run very poorly.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Fastest95PGT said:
He just said it runs to 7k with the KL02 but won't go past 5k with the JE50.... :rolleyes:
That doesn't prove anything, as mentioned it will run with the wrong VAF, just not correctly.

I'd open up the ECU and check the EPROM if it was me, but that's if it was me :lol:

·
Registered
351 Posts
could be the disty...

when my disty wnt bad , i sputterd in high rpms. suddenly that went away, the downside was.. the 2nd vris did not open anymore. the carnkpostionersensor was shot ( took the dealer 2 weeks to find out )

goodluck!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Where is that located? (from post above). Also when i had the JE50 on it would studder at 5000 rpms but it would go up farther but with complications. Also after i got into second it went fine all the way up to 5th. Once here and there it would studder but mainly in 1st. Then thats when i tried the KL02 and it worked fine. Also if my disty was bad wouldn't it do the same with the KL02? Any ideas don't matter what they are please let me know. I'm assuming that the wiring harness is different (KLZE from the KLDE?) I know some connections aren't connected because there weren't any place to connect them as far as i could see. Not sure if this makes a difference or not but just putting it in just incase.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thats my bad guys, I sold him the ecu under the impression it was a kl31 ecu(thats what I was told when I got the car). Im going to try and refund him his money.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
NickOuellette said:
Thats my bad guys, I sold him the ecu under the impression it was a kl31 ecu(thats what I was told when I got the car). Im going to try and refund him his money.
now we will all hate you!!

hehe that's good to hear your a good sport!!
unfortunate the ecu didnt work out ..
but i guess all basis are covered...

i remembered i tried to run my klde with no VAF for fun...it ran like crap lol
im sure the je50 would correct it a bit, but would cause poor delivery and what not, as mentioned above.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts