Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
correction: I meant KLDE not the JDM motor....sorry.

I'm curious to know what the average life-span of a KLDE is before it has to be rebuilt or throws a rod etc.

200,000 miles?

I know the answer is "it depends..."
;)

So how long, for example, if an engine is well serviced throughout its lifetime but pushed hard versus one that is driven very conservatively?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
most seem to last around 160-175k from what I have seen when looking at used ones.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Using good oils and chaning oil often would lead to longer life. Not abusing the engine would also help.

My KLDE has done 200,000 kms (120,000 miles) and feels like it will go some time longer. Changing oil often is the key I guess.

I would estimate that you could either last:

250,000 kms or less missing some oil changes and driving it hard
300,000kms give or takeby changing oil every 7,000 kms driving it normally sometimes hard
350,000-400,000kms or more by changing oil every 5,000 with synthetic and driving softly to moderate and doing highway driving (rev to 6,000 a few times a week only)

Of course with the above examples I am talking about owning the car from day 1 with 0 kms. You never know the true history or what oil was used etc. I know my MX6 generally had 10,000km service intervals but I think that's too many kms without changing, especially if the oil is changed only once a year.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
i had driven my DE pretty much all over, including trips to the midwest, to oregon, to laughlin, to AZ, to san diego, daily driving, and racing. it received regularly scheduled oil changes at 5,000 miles and regular tune-ups. that engine lasted well over 225,000 miles.

it does depend greatly on how the engine is operated and maintained.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Very much so, my point of ref was on buying them currently from other owners.
As Dmark101 and there are quite a few others have shown the KL goes over 200k when taken care of. I just do not trust others to have taken care of it most of the time, like every other used car with no warranty lol.

·
Registered
91 Posts
mines 180k miles right now still pulling strong.

got two others with 150plus on them doing just fine
im with you 178k still running strong and still hauls ass! Had to replace ignition module/distributor, alternator and now the master cylinder and the clutch slips when you try to powershift or lay a quick burnout so I dont do either any more cuz im stripped on cash so im gunna baby it so i can milk this clutch for another half a year or so then put a stage 2 racing clutch off ebay when I replace it eventually and the car needs a tuneup. The previous owner did the timing belt and waterpump in the last 20k miles so don't gotta worry about that at least.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts