Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
JDM Conversion
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'd like to know what the deal with the KLZE engines is. Like are they worth the money and do they give the horsepower difference that they claim (200hp). I have a guy who has a KLZE and he has been waiting for someone with an mx6 to put it in because no one has done it around here. I guess I want to know is it worth spending the 1000$ for the engine or not. Please let me know all opinions and install or other issues regarding this engine!

Many thanks,
bj

·
Registered
449 Posts
I guess you read my thread

I think the KLZE has higher compression like 10:1 or something like that. From the thread I posted in the 2nd gen section, 93PGT saying that it is just a quick engine swap. Corksport, appears to recommend a computer reprogramming as the ignition timing is prolly different. The engine is also built to closer tolerances hence more precise = more power. Most places cost from anywhere from $1400~$1800 for the engine not including freight charges. So I think its a great deal what you have there. Mazda specifies 200HP on their Japanese website, SAE Net prolly. I wouldn't be suprised if it had more torque either (I know what it is but it is metric 22.8kg/m).If you don't feel an extra 40HP when that engine goes in I'll personally shoot myself in the foot for wasting your money.

Cuz its higher output, you'll have a much greater power increase if you have a HKS cat-back exhaust and free flowing air intake.

This is my Opinion: I'd do it. You can also call Corksport about it they are pretty friendly. They'll give you more detailed performance differences and possible problems.

I also posted some links to look at in the 2nd gen discussion.

·
JDM Conversion
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I think I may very well go for it then. The guy also did a port/polish job in it, so i guess I should at least feel more power than the KL03 engine. I have a cold air intake and should have my greddy installed tomorrow. I dunno...I'll see about the engine, I don't think it will be going anywhere in the immediate future so we'll see...maybe put my stock engine in storage or something...hehe just in case.

bj

·
Registered
202 Posts
klze

It will definitely be a noticable difference, and a ze with a port and polish for $1000 is a good deal. The ze gets some of that added power from the different intake it has, so a ported and polished ze would be nice. It is a straight engine swap, but there are a couple of things to know about it. The jspec(ze) engines are designed to run on 102 octane gas, we can only get 93, 94 at the most. Running it on 93 will lose some of the power. as for the ECU, I wouldn't recommend against reprogramming it, but I have seen dynos that say it doesn't help, although the ze has different VRIS points, so programming those into your ecu might help a little. If you can get a factory ecu for a ze, then definitely do it. You can probably expect about 10-15 hp loss due to the octane difference and the KL03 ecu, but hey, that is still 185-190 hp at the crank plus a little from the port and polish as opposed to 164, so not bad. I think the ze also has a different throttle body, but I don't know if it is a larger diameter or what. I would buy a ze for $1000 and drop it in if I had time to do it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts