Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
221 - 240 of 243 Posts

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
ze swap is on the 94, sorry i should have specified.
93 is the only year with ECTF.. so you're still SOL with a 94+ harness.

Not all KL36 ECUs require an ECTF so I guess it's a crap shoot which you lost.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
You can try to trade your KL36 for someone else's that doesn't require the ECTF.

One way, assuming your car is MTX, is by trying to trade your KL36 for someone else's KL31 that needs a KL36 to control their ATX.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
FelixTheCat said:
So what's this I hear about not using my manual 5speed tranny on my current 6 with a KLZE? Is that true?
No that is not true.... You can use an Aspec MTX Tranny with a KLZE. I believe they are referring to the fact that if your ZE is causing your fans to run constantly you may need a different ECU to fix it. If you only have 2 coolant sensors for instance but have a 93 harness with a 3rd sensor input. Your fans will run but if you then get a probinator chip he can program it so as to not have the fan on contantly. Of course the chips only work with OBD1 cars. So if you have an OBD2 and have the fan problem you may need to take an alternative action to remedy the problem such as an external on/off switch for the fan or switching to an OBD1 ECU and harness and then going with the chip.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Your fans will run but if you then get a probinator chip he can program it so as to not have the fan on contantly.
Lets not give anyone too much credit here. It's not a matter of "programming it", it's a matter of putting a 94+ chip in a '93 ECU. This way, it no longer cares about the missing sensor.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Fastest95PGT said:
Lets not give anyone too much credit here. It's not a matter of "programming it", it's a matter of putting a 94+ chip in a '93 ECU. This way, it no longer cares about the missing sensor.
Word!! It's like you read my mind and put it on the screen. I couldn't figure out the simple way of saying it. And yes, there are multiple sellers of chips that will solve this issue. :tup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
price?

I just skimmed through this thread cause I am interested in rocking a ZE in my LS... I've read I can grab an engine for around $700-800 but that there's fakes out there. At the risk of repeating a question:

1.) What's the total cost of the complete swap without labour taken into account? Quotes from people who have got it done?

2.) I heard rumours that the Japs have different Emission laws therefore the mileage found on the ZE's is pretty low any truth to this?

3.) Quarter Mile times? I can run a 15.9 in my DE... What kinda sweetness can expect from the ZE?

If i'm making someone repeat themselves can you direct me to the post?

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I just skimmed through this thread cause I am interested in rocking a ZE in my LS... I've read I can grab an engine for around $700-800 but that there's fakes out there. At the risk of repeating a question:

1.) What's the total cost of the complete swap without labour taken into account? Quotes from people who have got it done?

2.) I heard rumours that the Japs have different Emission laws therefore the mileage found on the ZE's is pretty low any truth to this?

3.) Quarter Mile times? I can run a 15.9 in my DE... What kinda sweetness can expect from the ZE?

If i'm making someone repeat themselves can you direct me to the post?
Mazda dealer told me between 1250-1500 CAD for them to do the work, plus parts.
Yes the mileage on these motors are TYPICALLY lower...
Depending on the driver, and a lot of other essential variables such as tires, struts etc... you could see high 14s... i personally am hitting high 15s due to shitty 60 fts... i need to learn to drive apparently

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
FWIW, low 15's and very few high 14's have been had with DE's with Bolt On's. However, driver is always a factor :)

Ryan

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
FWIW, low 15's and very few high 14's have been had with DE's with Bolt On's. However, driver is always a factor :)

Ryan
that's just it... driver is a big key... i know my car can run the low 15s for sure... i just have to get the launch down and im good... 2.5 60 fts suck azz

and hihg 14s with a DE is CRAZY driving ability... not many people can do it, and its quite the accomplishment when someone DOES do it.

·
Registered
729 Posts
hey ryan, if you're looking to do a ze swap my buddy has a ze motor and all the parts needed and can do the swap at his shop. check the canada 'for sale' section or PM me.
the motor should be between $700 - $850 make sure to read up on what to look for to make sure its a ze. ie intake is longer. if you look around the board, there are loads of answers and pics
about emissions: make sure to get a good cat and o2 sensors you'll be fine, mine passed with flying colours.
a ze should be able to do 14s

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi there, I plan to buy a klze and a 5speed lsd tranny, And maybe afterward put a turbo on this little beast. My point is... can I keep the VAF of the ZE or I should get a MAF for the ZE... I saw somewhere that you cant put a VAF on a trubo is that right?

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Hi there, I plan to buy a klze and a 5speed lsd tranny, And maybe afterward put a turbo on this little beast. My point is... can I keep the VAF of the ZE or I should get a MAF for the ZE... I saw somewhere that you cant put a VAF on a trubo is that right?
This is filled with very typical misinformation or bad mistakes etc.

1. The word "plan", doesnt give me or anyone else much hope that you are anything but a dreamer who will do nothing.
2. Good luck finding an LSD especially in an 5 speed. they are rare.
3. They are piss weak anyway. Get a $1500 quaife unit instead, at least it will last.
4. The stupidest thing you could ever do, is buy a KLZE with the intention of putting a turbo on it. The DE is better made for boost, the end.
5. If you read, 5 posts up you would see the members talking about a probitnator chip. Search probinator chip, and you will see you use all your stock VAF etc.
6. You should use a standalone ECU with map sensor for any custom turbo setup.

The only reason I am answering, is because I am waiting for a phone call and I am bored. The questions you are asking, have been answered plenty, most of which, in this very thread you have typed in.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
4. The stupidest thing you could ever do, is buy a KLZE with the intention of putting a turbo on it. The DE is better made for boost, the end.
False, the end.

The ZE is much more responsive to boost than the DE. If you only have goals of 300whp or a little more, the ZE is plenty strong enough to handle that regularly as I (and many others now) have proven even for a daily driver.

If someone wants 400whp or more, then the ZE is not the best choice. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it probably won't last long. Many DEs don't last long either though at that much power, unless very well tuned. Don't take this as a DE can't last at this power, they just often don't because the motor wasn't designed for it. But then this area of power usually leads to other problems such as sheered off gears in the tranny which will have to be dealt with.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
I jumped to that to easily, but I still think im right :). When you factor in the cost of getting a KLZE, and swapping it, think money that could be going better to the turbo setup.

The KLDE cams (exhaust cams from memory) are better for boost the the ZE ones?

Compression ratio while not a big issue, is still an issue. Accidents can happen with tuning and 10:1 wont cop it as easily as 9.2(ish?) will.

The better flowing head and intake manifold are the only advantages I see and for a goal of say 300whp, the DE can still make it with its stock IM and head.

Mainly though, the $1000-$1500+ you spend on the engine + the swap could be better spent on a new turbo + ECU. Instead of getting a KLZE swap done then buying a $100 ebay turbo and FMU setup. I mean I did both properly, but not everyone will.

I have a KLZE turbo as well and I dont regret it at all. Hopefully when I get on the dyno again ill be joining you in the 300whp(American whp) club. Why not get the most powerful KL made, and make it more powerful? But if I knew I was going to boost, I would of spent the money there. I mean if you can get a ZE head and intake for cheap(a few pop up in for sale sections every now and then) and mate to DE bottom end then you are pretty set.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
I jumped to that to easily, but I still think im right :). When you factor in the cost of getting a KLZE, and swapping it, think money that could be going better to the turbo setup.
I don't disagree with you here. Just remember though, there are very few <100k mile DEs out there, so starting with a ~50k ZE or 100+k DE, they're both a little sketchy anyway.
The KLDE cams (exhaust cams from memory) are better for boost the the ZE ones?
Many have debated the DE vs ZE cams for boost. My motor was fully ZE cam'd which helped keep a very responsive low end.
Compression ratio while not a big issue, is still an issue. Accidents can happen with tuning and 10:1 wont cop it as easily as 9.2(ish?) will.
Absolutely correct here. I didn't say 10:1 was fool proof, the 9.2:1 is definitely much safer for those who are fat fingering tunes.
Mainly though, the $1000-$1500+ you spend on the engine + the swap could be better spent on a new turbo + ECU. Instead of getting a KLZE swap done then buying a $100 ebay turbo and FMU setup. I mean I did both properly, but not everyone will.
If you have a fixed budget to do all your mods, then yes, a ZE is not the best route to go to get the most bang for your buck. I would never buy a ZE just to boost it, if I could get a used <100k DE for less money. But for those who can't do it all at once, starting with a ZE will give a nice NA gain, then boost it once you find it's a good and reliable motor.

But then again, a ZE for NA gains and a wet 50-75 shot of N2O makes for a fun ride too with pretty much no shortened motor lifespan if you have a good fuel supply. :angel:

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
a 75 shot of n20 doesnt hit you as hard as 7psi of boost though. Not from what im hearing anyway :).

I found that once I started putting some decent dosh into my car, any plan of a fixed budget went out the window and instead it was as much money as I could put in that week without going hungry.:)

221 - 240 of 243 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.