Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi..

I was wondering if some of you guys know where to find harder valve springs for the KLZE engine?

I know the '88 FE3 engine is running with two springs for every valve. But the KLZE is running with one for every valve.

-Knudsen, Denmark.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Springs or the retainers? I have heard of people using the valve retainers from the KLDE engine on the KLZE but not the springs. I could be wrong.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Well.. I heard the same, but when I stood with the DE springs were they not as hard as the ZE springs. I do not know if my DE springs was too used.

But it is harder springs I am looking for.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
interprep valvsprings are what i'm using

not sure if the ferra ones fit in the ze heads...but you can look that up ;)

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Supposedly one of the Neon Engines Springs Fit and are an upgrade.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Somebody knows where to get these upgrade springs and eventually retainers?

When it springs and retainers are upgraded how many rpm's would you guess it could take?

·
Registered
32 Posts
KLZE has 40lb seat pressure, 140lb open pressure
KLDE has 50lb seat pressure, 150lb open pressure
Interprep 65lb seat pressure, 195lb open pressure $190 approx- uses KL03/DE retainers & locks
Ferrea 75lb seat pressure, 195lb open pressure $lots plus requires matched Ferrea retainers and locks

I recommend interprep springs- good for non floating valves to 7800+ rpm IIRC, not that your #6bearing/general oil situation would be too happy at those revs.
Interprep Performance Tuning

By the way you can use all KLDE springs/retainers/locks in KLZE even though the spring and retainer diameter is smaller. The KLZE exhaust springs/retainers/locks are the same as KLDE. But the KLZE intake springs/retainers/locks are larger but weaker - hence the dropped valve/broken retainer problem.

Reactions: vandejm

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the imformation - was really useful :)

I think the ferrea might be the choice, but I will take contact to Interprep for more information - it has to be the right choice so has to be sure.

Thanks
-Mads, Denmark.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
ferrea are the best springs of course but they are overkill for this application especially when you consider price.

the ferrea's will allow you to reach rpm's you'll never be able to use short of intake modifications, spark mods (COP), head work etc. unless money is no object to you ... its pointless

in all you'll pay 1000 more for the springs retainers and locks and then 5000 more on motor work just to be able to utilize what rpm range they open up for you.

the interpreps have been used by a lot of people with great success. at about 200 bucks you can't beat them. even they allow the kl to spin rpms which you won't be able to use. (i.e. you won't be making any power at 9000 rpms so what is the point)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well.. I made a KLZE engine work at 8400 rpm's, but 9000rpm's might be overkill. I do not know if the crank, rods and pistions can last these rpm's for a longer period.
Now I got you guys' opinion about this and will take a disission from this.

Thanks.
-Mads, Denmark.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Well.. I made a KLZE engine work at 8400 rpm's, but 9000rpm's might be overkill. I do not know if the crank, rods and pistions can last these rpm's for a longer period.
Now I got you guys' opinion about this and will take a disission from this.

Thanks.
-Mads, Denmark.
ya 8400 rpm is quite stressful. I'd be interested to see a dyno plot of the kind of power you were making up there (as well as the cams you were using). Might help me with my build.

Either way good luck!:tup:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ya 8400 rpm is quite stressful. I'd be interested to see a dyno plot of the kind of power you were making up there (as well as the cams you were using). Might help me with my build.

Either way good luck!:tup:
The heads could not last these rpms, so did not have time for a dyno or else you could have it :) However, that's why I am looking for upgraded parts to the heads.
I had a KLDE engine which could last 8000 rpms and it is has not blown up.

Thanks
-Mads, Denmark.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts