Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
mmmm.. did you not spot that in the photo's in the ebay auction you won ? at first i wondered why there were only 2 bids on it and dirt cheap... then i spotted that. Last i looked it was at about $10... you did okay at geting a ze TB and the bits for that sort of price though... but the IM is shot mate sorry.

Oddy.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
take it to a welder, they should be able to do something with it... you probably won't be able to unbolt it ever again, but just making a rough repair of the area so it seals, and places another tube in between those two holes should work.

its just a vris runner tube that goes there

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
I wonder if a DE elbow would fit if the manifold weren't broken.. the reason why I wonder is that the VRIS side is fine. So to be honest I would just JBWeld a little piece to the broken side and make it work. I know JBWeld works on these IM's because my ZE IM has a little spot from a little "mistake" I made during grinding off the casting marks.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Again, this assumes a DE elbow will fit on a ZE IM. I honestly don't know and would have to hold one up to the other to see.

This'd be even easier if you cut the ZE IM off square and cut the same portion off a DE IM to JBWeld on.

If you can't get it to work out, maybe I'll take it off your hands.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
why not just block off all the vris lines and sell it to someone that is boosted?

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Blocking off that VRIS completely (VRIS 1) would restrict flow.

Just because someone's boosted doesn't mean they don't care about resonance values of the IM at all. Hitting that wall (as it would then be made into a wall) would not have a positive effect.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
i dont think that a de elbow will fit because it looks alot different in size, but i would do what GC said, just take and have it tig welded then you wont have to worry about it.

·
Registered
757 Posts
They deffo don't fit, they are different lengths and the 'male - female' connections are the other way round (assuming a DE mani is the same as a UK KL03 E-spec).

I know someone who blanked off these ports on a non ZE manifold when they removed their VRIS on a non boosted Probe and he said he felt it made more power on the top end but I have no empirical evidence to back this up.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
As I said, wasn't sure and didn't hold one up to the other to see. Was just throwing an idea out there.
Mark 626GT said:
I know someone who blanked off these ports on a non ZE manifold when they removed their VRIS on a non boosted Probe and he said he felt it made more power on the top end but I have no empirical evidence to back this up.
So that means nothing. :tup:

·
Registered
757 Posts
Scientifically speaking you are correct, however when it comes to bulletin board banter, it's gold. (I should have said he made fifty at the wheels) :)

Anyway you cheeky sod, if someone who found themselves in the same position with a std IM they might consider blanking it as an option rather than just binning it. ;)

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Mark 626GT said:
Scientifically speaking you are correct, however when it comes to bulletin board banter, it's gold. (I should have said he made fifty at the wheels) :)
I hope it was tot he rear wheels.
Anyway you cheeky sod, if someone who found themselves in the same position with a std IM they might consider blanking it as an option rather than just binning it. ;)
I was going to ask for english, but you are ... english. ;) So how about some American so I can understand that.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
yeah, you cheeky sod. ;) :p

re: the actual issue - blocking it off would be the same as tying vris 1 closed (or same as those who's actuators/solenoids/whatever fails on them)

i honestly don't know anyone who has GAINED power with vris1 in the CLOSED position... and in fact most cars with a malfunctioning vris 1 (in the closed position) feel damn sluggish below the midrange resonance point... but it could certainly make that transition FEEL a lot stronger once it gets there (it hits like NoSS y0!) (but not having any actual gains)

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Here's some handy dyno plots of my ZE...

Broken VRIS 1

Both VRIS working

Notice the increase in the both working VRIS happening at 4100rpm is considerably steeper than in the one that doesn't open.

·
Registered
757 Posts
TBH, he said some stickers gave him the same power but a little more torque :D

I love the English/American language barrier. I have noticed that their tends to be more confusion from English to American than English people understanding American terms. I suppose it's down to the masses of American TV we get over here :)
Which words are you having difficulty with (or any you have come across before) and I will try and translate.

Those graphs make interesting reading

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Just the bold parts..
I think I understand the rest.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts