Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 88 mx6 gt. The dude told me the engine was rebuilt... But it was not. So now i want to drop a klze into the car. I have searched all over google and cant find anything... What all has to be done to swap my F2t to a klze?

·
Registered
564 Posts
everything...

from my understanding it would have to be completely custom everything. but if you still want to go for it, good luck and best wishes. you'll defiantly have something to brag about

·
Registered
349 Posts
Believe it or not the Gt engine is extremely fast once you start modding it a little bit. This car does not have a lot of aftermarket support but it still can be tuned to make some real good power.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
wouldnt be worth the time in my opinion. I mean dont get me wrong, people have run high 13's with a n/a klze but for all the time and customizing you would spend, you could have made your first gen quicker by now. If i were you i would look into the FE-DOHC. There are some people makikng some real good power with that engine.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
It's been done and it's not very hard if you have experience welding.

The rear most mount beeds to be relocated to the passenger side a few inches since the GE and later cars place the mount on the passenger side of the differential and your mounts are on the drivers side.

The laet and right mounts shouldnt be a big deal. You just need the right combination of parts. At worse you'll have to relocate or replace the sheetmetal brackets for the mounts.

The front might require some fab work it's self but I believe it's in the same position on the trans relative to the stock mount.

Dont forget when placing the motor to check the shift rods or you'll be stuck either making custom ones or not able to shift at all.

You'll need everything that dose not come with the ZE.

Transmission/ mounts/ harness/ ECU/ accesories etc.

Also since the cars are two different generations you cant count on the ECU for the 2 G car to run the 1G chassis (guage cluster,charging/starting system etc) and you may have to set up the car with both ECU's with one running the motor and the other running the chassis.

An FE3 would just bolt up however. Ofcourse it almost allways requires a stand alone to run best but you might have to go that way either way.

People have been in the 12's and 11's with N/A KL's so the motor is definitely a worth while option.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
It's been done and it's not very hard if you have experience welding.

The rear most mount beeds to be relocated to the passenger side a few inches since the GE and later cars place the mount on the passenger side of the differential and your mounts are on the drivers side.

The laet and right mounts shouldnt be a big deal. You just need the right combination of parts. At worse you'll have to relocate or replace the sheetmetal brackets for the mounts.

The front might require some fab work it's self but I believe it's in the same position on the trans relative to the stock mount.

Dont forget when placing the motor to check the shift rods or you'll be stuck either making custom ones or not able to shift at all.

You'll need everything that dose not come with the ZE.

Transmission/ mounts/ harness/ ECU/ accesories etc.

Also since the cars are two different generations you cant count on the ECU for the 2 G car to run the 1G chassis (guage cluster,charging/starting system etc) and you may have to set up the car with both ECU's with one running the motor and the other running the chassis.

An FE3 would just bolt up however. Ofcourse it almost allways requires a stand alone to run best but you might have to go that way either way.

People have been in the 12's and 11's with N/A KL's so the motor is definitely a worth while option.

an 11 second n/a KL? Link please.

basically if you want a klze i would just buy a 2nd gen unles you want a big headache.

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
Most of the people posting good times with NA KLs have them in BG chassis cars which are about 200kG lighter (440lb)

I think you'd be struggling to push a 1G into the 12s with an NA KL.....maybe into the 14s...I reckon that would be about it.

Not really worth the cost...it might be good for stunt value, as it hasnt been done my many people. There is a reason for that.

if you want a v6 and dont car what it is, you could always do a vulcan v6 swap from a 1G probe....

·
Registered
113 Posts
don't waste your time, just replace the motor with another f2t. or if you're real ambitious swap an FE3 dohc.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
an 11 second n/a KL? Link please.

basically if you want a klze i would just buy a 2nd gen unles you want a big headache.
No time to find the vids and link but look up leo323 or leo3230 on youtube.

Yes it is a 323 hatch and pretty hard core at that but he's making 240 WHP N/A and it's still streetable. He had to figure it out him self but it really wouldnt cost much to do a similar build with a 6 and be in the 12's.

I do think that by the time he had invested a great deal of money into making it a running car he'll end up with something just a bit faster than a stock 1G GT.

A replacement F2T with a few mods will be faster for sure. But after that the KL has the upper hand over the F2 atleast since it's not nearly as limited by the head(s) as the F2 seems to be.

An FE is still an option but when it comes down to ultimate stregnth in a built motor I think the KL comes out on top with it's split block architecture and shorter more rigid crank.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Like i said im not bashing KL's at all, but its not meant for a 1st gen. Just turbo an fe-dohc and make 300-400hp and call it a day. Im a forced induction kind of guy myself. Ill take the power and sound of a turbo over an n/a car anyday, even if the n/a makes more power. I guess im just a boost addict though:lol:

my name is mike and im a boostaholic. I have an 18 psi a day addiction.

i would say build up your first gen with the f2t or fe-dohc and buy an mx3 for cheap and klze swap that. Then you would see some pretty good 1/4 mile times.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Remember that KL's dont have a tranny yet to support that 400-600whp. I have ZE in my 2nd gen probe and I would recommend you to do FE3 swap because it would be WAY less problems.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Remember that KL's dont have a tranny yet to support that 400-600whp. I have ZE in my 2nd gen probe and I would recommend you to do FE3 swap because it would be WAY less problems.

thats a problem too. My friend went through 9 transmissions in 1 year. The honest truth too. BUT that was running like 7 psi also.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Thats true :( I have been thinking about modifying the H type to fit the KL. I figure I could make a mint selling modified bellhousings to boosted 2nd genners. It's actualy a close fit to the FS motor but the KL will require some machining and welding.

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
H-types do have their weak points too....if your going to go to the effort of making an adapter plate, why not adapt it to a non Mazda gearbox ?

something that you can easily buy parts for....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate all the advice it really helped. I think i might just go with the fe-dohc, but i need to do something soon because my f2t is dying on me

·
Registered
564 Posts
when ever my f2t goes im just going to swap in a fe3 but im hoping that wont be for a good while, lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah me too.. i just found another f2t from japan with 40 or 50,000 miles witch is alot better than 208,xxx lol. $850 complete motor and $135 shipped. I was thinking about getting that and building on it

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
yeah me too.. i just found another f2t from japan with 40 or 50,000 miles witch is alot better than 208,xxx lol. $850 complete motor and $135 shipped. I was thinking about getting that and building on it
no you didn't. you are going to be purchasing air, because a jdm F2T does not exist. Unless it was one of those "jdm" ford probes. :lol:

Btw, thread closed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.