Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, having just replaced my blown KLDE with a KLZE, at the lovely price of $3,000, with new clutch, water pump, timing kit, mounts and labour etc, I have driven it two hours home, and it was running better than ever.
An hour later I take it out and it starts to overheat.
Pull over and steam is coming out of everywhere.

Get it home to find that the Radiator hose going into the oil pump/thing that cools the oil has broken off at the connection.
The mechanic who did the job stated that he 'replaced one, but the other one looked like it was ok.'
This was the other one.

Having contacted the mechanic and hearing that I should be able to reach the hose in question in order to change it myself, I attempted to do so by removing the radiator, only to find the alternator is in the way.
It would appear that the only way to remove the alternator is to lift the engine.

Now faced with the prospect of paying $150 to have the car towed 90km back to the mechanic and having it repaired under warranty, I turn to mx6.com for advice.
Is it necessary to lift the engine in order to remove the alternator?
It is the hose on the left that has burst, is it possible to replace it any other way?

Thankyou, again.

·
Registered
752 Posts
You don't need to lift the engine to pull it off but i remember it being a bit of a shit but not that bad. I cant remember how to do it either

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
No alternator comes out either I think from the top but I might be thing a FS and it's proberly the bottom.

as for the hose i might need the belt removed to reposition the alternator at the most but you should be able to get to it.

but this is why and I know some people will say I'm picky or it's easy I can afford it but.

Anytime you do anything major any weak link replaced everything you can.

Take my FE - so far touch wood it's bounced offi t's rev limiter for 5km's and it's still going.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Anytime you do anything major any weak link replaced everything you can.
100% spot on, something i wish i learnt sooner :p

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
Alt out the bottom....

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
thats really gay, hope you didnt do any damage to the heads when you overheated it, or else the motor in there now is up for replacement... id seriously cut sick at that mechanic...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, just dropped the A/C compressor and alternator, purchased a new line for $35 with clamps etc, and it's good to go again.
About the cheapest fix yet = P

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
196 Posts
hows car going now? no probs I hope! I'm sicka Mech so I'm pullin car off the road & reluctantly doin all work meself. You can't easily get to anything on a Mixxy without pullin [shizzle] off everywhere & havin dash-light come on demandin you do somethin:mad: Mech don't care to tell you extra stuff & do little things that may need doing extra etc. No what I mean!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts