Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been corresponding with Adelaide Jap Dismantlers and they tell me that a KLZE engine is $2250 and comes with manifolds {apparently inlet and outlet manifolds are different}. I also asked about the cost of the Engine computer {because I’ve been told that it has a different chip in it} they want $350.
So that’s $2600, not bad!
Obviously the freight will cost me extra.

But I was wandering if a turbo kit and necessary mods {rings chip head gaskets etc.} would cost as much. And witch would have the best kW for my buck?
And again obviously if I get the complete engine I could sell the old KLO3 …It still will have some sort of value, assuming I can find a buyer.
What do you think?
Mr. MX6

·
Registered
672 Posts
Sounds pretty good...what other modifications/replacements would have to be made to suite??

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For what ! the turbo or the KLZE??

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I would stay with a NA engine, so the KLZE would be my choice. Later on you can add a turbo or NOS since it's a stronger engine. The extra 29KW of real power is worth it. Anyway you also keep your car street legal.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I,m no expert, but I read a lot that the KL03 is not a good turbo charging candidate.

I understand super charging is the better option.

Suggest you pose the question on an international forum either here or "Generation 2 MX 6" forum.

4WSB

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
if i had a second gen KL-ZEwould be my first option (or KL-ZEM rated at 220hp, don't know if that would fit though). with KL-03 IF you want it turbo you better off having Twin set up(similar to 300ZX non-sequential set up, ie one turbo per bank of cylinders). if you thinking single, you are looking for some major pipe bending...meaning that the piping going to have to look like something Leonardo Davinci would design(if he would have lived in our times that is :)).

Also KL-ZE is VERY cost effective, and insurance has no clue, i have asked how much would it cost to turbo my F2, the price for a full turbo kit came around $7000-$9000......funny that one, i can by half cut mx6 F2T for $2500 and bolt evrything on, anyway back to the topic......supercharger it the best way to go if you want boost, but i hear that you have to loose one of your luxury components(Air Con) to drive S/C.....there is very good article on that in ZOOM #34 (thanx Brett :))

i myself droped the idea of BOOSTing my engine, for simple fact that i was told that as soon as you have boost you will want more of it.........and more........and MORE untill you put a crank throug the block(BOOST + 9 to 1 copression = trouble). im gonna go with Fe3 swap as my car is an import with NO complance plates, yet is all ligal :)

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah yea! But the yanks have turbo and super on the brain. And they all talk like you can just go down the road and pick one up. {No offence to them, Its just that it ain’t that simple in Perth}
I think all I knead for the z is the computer and the manifolds…
There would be know end to the mods for a turbo injectors, fuel pump, fuel lines, engine management system, not to mention the problems with traction, drive train, gear box and on and on ..
This is what I thought someone else would have said, but I think I’m pretty accurate.
I’m leaning towards the KLZE option but that is why I wanted to talk about it, to get your “Aussie” opinion. Besides I think 200 odd KW is good enough for me.
What do you reckon?
Mr. MX6
BTW: this is all conjecture/planing I’ve recently paid her off and I'm starting a modding kitty, and I’m looking for a target!

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
200hp not Kw........i dont know "K" family engines that well, but all it seems to me the diference between the two is cams, manifolds, computer and fuel rails(may be injectors too).....anybody with definate differences out there???

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DOH!!

Kw... hp same thing . LOL :D
See I told ya those yanks have got me all confused :p
Just quietly It don't take alot....

·
Registered
282 Posts
Mr. MX6,

The fuel injectors on the ZE are the same as those on the 03. The real difference is in the pistons, heads and cams.

For years I have dealt with Adelaide Jap, purchasing several engines (have spent around $6000.00 there. If you have ever heard the ads for Adelaide Jap about "fitting a V6 to your Laser", guess where they got that one from. My car was fully built by myself and a work friend. Adelaide Jap took pictures of the install and would have you believe that they performed the conversion......... Absolute Crap. :mad:

The last time I visited Adelaide Jap, was to try and get some inlet HLA's for the ZE. The proprieter proceeded to give me a hard time about purchasing the ZE from another wrecker here in Adelaide. He was in no way interested in helping me. He said that yard "X" had no right selling these engines in competition to him. He went as far as to say that the HLA's I was after did not exist, and I didn't know what I was talking about. I have since learnt that they do in fact have these HLA's there.

End bitch session. Having said all of this, Adelaide Jap does have a huge range of Jap bits and no doubt I will get over it and buy other stuff from there. :D

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Blind Freddie said:
200hp not Kw........i dont know "K" family engines that well, but all it seems to me the diference between the two is cams, manifolds, computer and fuel rails(may be injectors too).....anybody with definate differences out there???
It has different:

Cams
Intake manifold
Compression ratio
exhaust headers
TB
heads

And to get the full benifit of the engine you need the ECU as well

·
Registered
282 Posts
Blind Freddie,

Yep. Unfortunately I am starting to suffer from some of the problems associated with a car thats 14 years old (have had it from new). The Chasis is getting a bit loose. It's seen a B5 twin cam, B6 twin cam, K8 ZE (ala Jspec MX3) and now runs a KL ZE from a Jspec AX Telstar. If you want, I can email you a couple of pics?

One other thing I forgot to mention with the ZE. It really pays to get the complete engine package, Engine, Airbox and VAF, Loom, ECU. It is the only real guaranteed way to get the maximum out of the engine.

If anyone ever needs help, I have re-built a couple of these K series engines now (my wife really hates me). I have the complete AX Telstar manual with full info on the 2.0 and 2.5L V6, and 2.0 and 2.2L four. It's the same for the MX6 and 626.

I normally hang out on Probetalk, but it still appears to be in the land of the lost!!! I like this site a lot. Stumbled across it last night. :)

A friend and I are working on some nice little projects at the moment. External coil setup using genuine Mazda bits (available from the wreckers) and a fully programable engine monitoring system. It monitors four K type thermocouples, Injector duty cycle with peak holds, part load and WOT VRIS programable switch points (for those running different IM's with highly modded engines), It also runs a MAP sensor for boost and Vac readings, once again with peak hold recall. Should be good when its done.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
yeah, id love to see some pics ( [email protected] )

OK now, from reading the post......who do i contact to have KCV6 loose the driver status, to be replased with Mazda Tech Guru status :D

·
Registered
282 Posts
Tech Guru I'm not ;) , Just had a few years experience. I've made many a mistake, and still do. but thanks for the compliment.

Don't get me wrong about Adelaide Jap, They have heaps of good stuff but you do pay a premium. They have a room full of ECU's and how much do they cost........ all are $350.00 regardless.

Try checking around at other wreckers. For $2500.00 I got to pick all the bits I needed from a complete functioning 93 AX telstar (from Japan of course). Mounts, looms, ECU, engine, offered me the ATX but it was of no use to me (should have taken it and sold it), Airbox, VAF etc.etc.

Dont be afraid of getting one with relatively high KM's on it. This can drive the price down (unless you get it from you know who....there I go all bitching again). I have a supplier for complete gasket kits (KP made in Osaka Japan as used by OEM) for $450.00. Try pricing one from Mazda or Ford. ACL in Australia also make bearings pistons and rings. Bearings are about $50.00 a set and rings are about $120.00 a set.

If only my wrecker friend was still in the business. I could have got you one at wholesale..... thats less than half of what they are selling them for.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was just "talking " to you KCV6 on an other thread on a similar vain Wreckers, and after reading this maybe you could avail me with the name of a wrecker that you would recommend for the purchase of a 4WS computer.
I was getting one from Adelaide Jap for, you guessed it $350 maybe I can do better...
Thanks mate
Mr. MX6

·
Registered
282 Posts
Mr MX6,

Email me at [email protected] I'll reply email you some pics of the car, and try to locate a 4WS ECU for you. I'm not overly familiar with the 4WS setup. Is it a seperate computer, or is it the engine management ECU you are after? It is still possible that Adelaide Jap will be the only place with one, but it won't hurt for me to ring around.:)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Thanks Blind Freddie. I don't suppose anyone knows the part number marked on it? Also is it located in the passenger side kick panel (near the ECU)? Sorry for all the questions and thread hijacking, but I have found another supplier who may have some in stock.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
one thing you must be sure of, is that the computer must be from second gen.....first gens have different one.

sorry cant help with location.........have first gen and no 4WS :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts