Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

KLZE vs. Stock KLDE - every one welcome

9K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  Mazda__Parter 
#1 ·
wat are the pros and cons to KLZE and KL i want to do a motor swap and im reading all kinds of different things like the klze wont pass emissions etc i have the stock kl v6 and love it wat route should i go

#2 ·
Well, it depends. They lowered the limits on the test. If the NO ppm was in the 550's, it'd be ok. But since it isn't, unless you can wire up the egr to work, a scam test only. Well, that's what I can say. I'm not speaking for anyone else.
The engine pulls alot harder, but really, you could just get the cams and the intake and go turbo. That's probably your best bet. A complete ZE isn't needed, unless your engine is toast. And, if you're going to spend $$, that's what I'd do.

#3 · (Edited)
The title should be KLZE vs KLDE (stock). If you notice, they both have KL preceding them.

Also keep in mind, there are two kinds of KLZE: Curved neck and straight neck. Both 200HP but produce the HP at different RPM ranges.

RE: E-test. I failed it with my KLZE 1 week ago. I will try again. However, many people, including Mistere have reported passing.

I def have noticed a diff b/n a KLDE and KLZE. Riding a KLDE after being used to driving a KLZE, it just feels like it's held back.

#5 ·
ok what would you recomend getting the klze curved or the klze straight intake cause the motor i have has 317XXX and runs ok so i want a klze cause its got 200hp stock over the klde 165 hp from wat i hear and money is no prob i will be making it a race engine lol and i have a dyno at work so i can get it tuned in lol just post back as wat i should get im new to the klze engines thanks

#7 ·
You haven't stated what car you are planning to put it in also. Though, most likely a 626/MX6/PGT. If you plan on a MX3, curve neck intake fits only.
With so many K's on the engine, well, you could rebuild. The valve seals on a DE are stronger than a ZE, but if you're racing and $$ is no object, I guess new it is!
Where is this "dyno" you mention? Are you in Toronto? Can I do 1 pull? Atleast that way you could see what a ZE with bolt ons will do. Even though it says 200HP at the crank on the sticker, I have heard people crying after then went to the dyno getting barely 150whp. I have no idea what I've got, and for some reason, I don't think I'm doing so well.

#10 ·
Yeah, naw, I thought you were local to me. I just want 1 run to see what I've got.
As for the thread, I'd go hybrid and rebuild, if you're that serious about racing it. But you will probably want to look into it more on this board and on probetalk. A guy there races it, but also gutted it. Gotta remember, it's FWD. Better if it was rear. But hey, it's up to you.
Good luck either way!

#16 ·
if going for a ZE, make sure to get new O2 sensors, I think that was the key to my pass. and do all the common sense stuff like a long drive to warm up the cat, high octane gas, and if you can run it on gas mixed with ethanol I've heard that works.
If ur looking to drag race, the ZE will do high 14's n.a. with all the bolt on goodies, not that I've done it but I'm new so I kinda suck, my best 15.8 with bald tires lol.
if money isn't really an issue grab a DE and slap a turbo on there, apparently the lower compression means it's better for FI. But if you do turbo, 7 psi is as much as you would want to go on stock motor. you could go crazy and build the internals and maybe go 14+ psi but thats sinking a gold mine into it.
All in all just doing a ZE swap is still a huge difference, a whole new car and totally worth it.
P.S. My buddy has 2 sitting in storage I'm sure he would cut you a deal if you wanted.

#18 ·
I dunno everyone is saying it's going 2 cost a fortune 2 rebuild internals etc etc.. i just found a klze fully build bored bigger pistons rods etc etc 4 around 3000 bucks but she's ready 2 be beatin with boost but it pays 2 play man.. just gotta look around what ppl are selling now a days i was going 2 do the run around but now i found someone selling a fully built ZE saves me the trouble in running around taking it to a machine shop getting it there building mean while the work is al done for me unless you want 2 rebuild it yourself & @ this point i dont really have the time 2 build a motor & run around town with my head cut off trying 2 build this motor just my 2 cents~

#17 ·
Mistere, you were able to pass your ZE? I found that they lower the NOx too much, and that was it for me. I put new Bosch O2's, clean plugs, fresh oil, and still, way too high cuz they lowered it way too much!!
On a side note, have you taken your ZE to a dyno? I want to just do 1 pass, but they book by the hour. Maybe if like 4 people are interested we could all do a pass? I need to see what I've got under there!!!!

#19 · (Edited)
Hells yeah I'd like to take her to a dyno, I could get at least one more person in for sure!
As for the pass, it went all good first try. like I mentioned you could try to put in like 5 liters of 94 and 5L or more of ethanol (I think) just for the test and you'll pass for sure. I'll ask my buddy about that tho. edit: I also had a brand new top of the line cat, I'm sure that helped too

Parter: I've never heard of a built ZE but hey man if you have found one go for it! sounds like a decent deal. I hope you know what to look for to make sure it's what it's what the person says it is. my point is that to turbo my ZE it would prob. cost 2-3k (intercooled and all the nice things) and only get 7psi but would only add maybe, maybe 50hp. so not really worth it in my mind until i have the cash to build the motor and go high boost

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.