Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be buying a KLZE in the next month. I have a few questions which I think many others would be interested in seeing the answers for. First of all, I've heard that the KLZE is illegal in the United States. Is this true and if so has anyone with this engine ever run into problems.

My second question is about building the bottom end, would parts meant for the KL03 be usable in the KLZE, such as pistons, cranks, connecting rods, etc... As well as valve train components and any other internals.

And last, I live in California, emission laws are strict, does anyone have info on the KLZE in respect to emissions? Or does anyone in Cali have a KLZE in which they've had problems?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
emission is the problem with that engine, try to a buddy at a shop to hook u up i guess ask some one else about it but, i know some one on here knows something, i know that for sure, check probetalk.com they have tons of stuff

·
Registered
134 Posts
They will pass emissions sometimes but there's no guarantee. I've been told that you can install the engine and make it look like there's no difference. However, passing emissions is kind of hit or miss. I'm going to try it in about two months and I live in AZ and have to pass emissions too. If anyone else knows more about emissions I'd appreciate hearing about it too.

·
Registered
488 Posts
KLZE EGR how-to

Without the EGR system hooked up you will not pass CA and NY emissions testing and the KLZE does not have a provision for the EGR on the intake manifold.

WARNING --- THIS IS MUCH EASIER TO FOLLOW WITH A SHOP MANUAL OR A SPARE ENGINE IN YOU HANDS.

Fortunately there is a way to hook the EGR system up and have the car run normally without throwing bad EGR codes in the ECU. While the intake manifold doesnot have the EGR provisions built in the head does. The way the EGR gases normally run is from the exhaust to a fitting on the rear for the rear head, across the side of the head to the first runner from the rear bank, alongside the runner up to the top of the manifold and in to the manifold just behind the throttle vody. All of this is within molded sections of the intake manifold. Once the KLZE intake is in there half of the path is gone. But there is a plug on the head from where the EGR line was drilled that can be removed. Once removed you put a fitting in to it so that you can run a copper line off of it. This line is then run up to the manifold and needs to be tapped in just behind the throttle body. Viola, you now have a fully functionally EGR system which should be able to pass even CA and NY emissions testing.

If you need them, I've got some pictures from my port n' polish job I'm doing on my spare heads and intake that show some sections of this. Unfortunately my digital cam is in Australia with my girlfriend at the moment so I can't take any better ones.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info, if you could send me those pics it would be greatly appreciated. How did yours do on emissions tests?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Oops

Sorry, little bit of misunderstanding there, I'm not running a KLZE, don't plan to either. All of this is from discussions with some of the Probe owners who were doing it and that was the solution we came up with. I believe Greg Hagopian(sp) of Hye-Dra-Cel actually ended up doing this. The pics I have are just of the spare head and intake that I'm port and polishing and reshaping.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: KLZE EGR how-to

my motor managed to pass emisions. I thought i was dead in the water when the guy poped my hood and started looking around, I thought for sure he would notice there was no EGR valve! But he didnt. Thank god for small miracles! And the engine light went away after a couple of months.

·
Registered
488 Posts
He's in Utah, easier emission laws there.

Are you coming to the meet at Dromo One tomorrow mad-mx6? If so I can show you what has to be done for the ZE to hook up to the EGR system. We can even drive down together if you live close enough.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts