Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the Corksport page and saw the KLZE engine, but I still have few questions. What are the major differences between the KLZE and US engines? Would the KLZE pass inspection/emissions here? Is that 200 HP at the wheels? Has anyone done the swap from a US to KLZE and how big of a difference is it? Or would it make more sense to get a knight supercharger? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
bigjeff said:
I went to the Corksport page and saw the KLZE engine, but I still have few questions. What are the major differences between the KLZE and US engines? Would the KLZE pass inspection/emissions here? Is that 200 HP at the wheels? Has anyone done the swap from a US to KLZE and how big of a difference is it? Or would it make more sense to get a knight supercharger? Thanks.
The KLZE uses higher compression pistons, (10:1 vs 9.2:1), a different intake manifold, (possibly) different camshafts and the head castings are different with fatter ports.

The KLZE is about 200HP at the crankshaft. This translates to about 165-170 at the wheels after drivetrain losses are accounted for. Certainly, there's a big improvement over a stock KL03 turning 135-140 to the wheels. With good bolt-ons, the KL03 will put 150-160 to the wheels, though Gerry Sica of PRM is putting over 175 now to the wheels with his modded '03. I've heard of bolt-on modded KLZEs putting up to 185HP to the wheels but only one so far.

As a point of interest, the KLZE would ideally require a PCM PROM update to fully make use of the VRIS points etc. (The KLZE and KL03 have different VRIS switch points, so running a KLZE on a KL03 PCM will result in the VRIS not switching at the right time...)

The KLZE doesn't have provision for an EGR valve feed into the intake. I'm not certain it can be easily modified to accept the EGR. Some states may hose you on this issue, other may not care. Check laws where you live.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So what does Gerry Sica have on his mx6 that gives it 175 at the wheels? I'm contemplating now whether to go ahead and get a bunch of 'small' mods (intake, chip, headers), or get a supercharger or turbo. I would like to realize 200HP at the wheels but don't know if I wanna go for the turbo because of reliability. I definitely need to figure this out before I buy intake, headers... because they will be useless if i turbo my car. Do you know anything about the Knight supercharger? Seems like he gives quite a wide HP output range.

G

·
bigjeff said:
So what does Gerry Sica have on his mx6 that gives it 175 at the wheels? I'm contemplating now whether to go ahead and get a bunch of 'small' mods (intake, chip, headers), or get a supercharger or turbo. I would like to realize 200HP at the wheels but don't know if I wanna go for the turbo because of reliability. I definitely need to figure this out before I buy intake, headers... because they will be useless if i turbo my car. Do you know anything about the Knight supercharger? Seems like he gives quite a wide HP output range.
Jerry has done a substantial amount of work on his motor to pull those numbers. It might actually be cheeper just to get the KLZE and then throw on the bolt ons. If you want to pull 200 hp at the wheel, you are going to need forced induction to pull it off.

I noticed a big increase in preformance with my motor, it comes on as quick as 2500 rpm and keeps pulling. What Mike said about the reprogramed ecu is true, but the corksport one keeps the stock VRIS points. Check out there dynos on the PROJECT MX-3. I have even managed to pass emisions. The cheepest place to buy one is japan direct at http://www.usedengines.com.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
bigjeff said:
So what does Gerry Sica have on his mx6 that gives it 175 at the wheels?
Gerry's got a bunch of stuff on his PGT, including (but not limited to):
- custom headers
- test pipe (no cat) + Greddy
- underdrive pulley
- 73mm MAF conversion (I made specifically for him)
- PRM intake (obviously, since he owns PRM :)
- heavily modified intake manifold (extensive porting by Gerry himself)
- at one point he had an external coil setup and MSD box (I thought...it's been so long now I can't recall) but I think he's since taken it off

He also tried some J-spec cams but wasn't pleased with the result; they didn't give the power he thought they would. I think the lion's share of Gerry's power is coming from his manifold work with the rest being added by the other bolt-ons. I've probably forgotten more stuff than I remembered...

Anyway, a turbo running 5-7PSI would probably give you the 200 WHP you're looking for, and I'd bet there would be no deleterious effects on engine life at that low boost, as long as you ran good gas and kept the fuel system in good shape. I've seen pics of the Knight S/C but know very little specifically otherwise.

·
Registered
179 Posts
i went to www.usedengines.com and emailed them. they emailed me back today and said they have a klze in good shape for $1495 plus $75 for shipping. not a bad deal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts