Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mechanic says my knock sensor is going and I was wondering whether this could wait a while. I have some other things on the burner and I don't really want to pay for the labor and everything at the moment. He told me that the air/fuel mixture would probably get messed up a little, but that doesn't sound too serious. Should I replace this thing ASAP, or can I afford to wait a month or two? Thanks guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,064 Posts
If you start to hear pre-ignition, you've gonna start having problems. Pinking is not good for your engine innards.

Tyson
95 LS (for sale)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,167 Posts
willmx6 said:
My mechanic says my knock sensor is going and I was wondering whether this could wait a while. I have some other things on the burner and I don't really want to pay for the labor and everything at the moment. He told me that the air/fuel mixture would probably get messed up a little, but that doesn't sound too serious. Should I replace this thing ASAP, or can I afford to wait a month or two? Thanks guys.
Curious...what led the mechanic to conclude the sensor is "going"? Did the CEL come on and was a code 5 pulled?
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He was using an engine diagnostic machine. I had asked him to check which of my O2 sensors was broken and he found that the knock sensor wasn't working as well. He didn't say that it would kill my engine, and I always use at least mid-grade gas so I don't think I'll get any pinging.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,167 Posts
willmx6 said:
He was using an engine diagnostic machine. I had asked him to check which of my O2 sensors was broken and he found that the knock sensor wasn't working as well. He didn't say that it would kill my engine, and I always use at least mid-grade gas so I don't think I'll get any pinging.
Perhaps the first thing to do is to (a) get the O2 sensor(s) fixed and (b) erase the PCM memory by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. If the code 5 comes back, you may have a real problem, otherwise it was just a transient thing.

Has the intake manifold ever been off the car? (e.g. valve cover gaskets replaced, friction gear springs done etc...)
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The intake manifold has never been off as long as I have owned the car. It's funny you should ask because I also need to replace my valve gaskets. I don't figure that would be having any effect on it. I'll be getting the O2 sensors put in seperately from the knok sensor so I'll try what you said Mike. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,167 Posts
willmx6 said:
The intake manifold has never been off as long as I have owned the car. It's funny you should ask because I also need to replace my valve gaskets. I don't figure that would be having any effect on it. I'll be getting the O2 sensors put in seperately from the knok sensor so I'll try what you said Mike. Thanks.
The reason I asked is because the knock sensor sits in the 'V' of the block, between the banks, under the intake manifold. It has a single wire coming off it which runs toward the driver's side (North America...) of the engine. If the intake is removed, it's not hard if one doesn't watch for it, to pinch the knock sensor wire when the manifold is re-installed, which will cause a code 5.

If the code persists, consider having the sensor replaced when the valve cover gaskets are done, since the manifold must be removed to the do the rear bank anyway. With the intake already off, the KS is right there for the picking.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top