Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,180 Posts
I don't. Be patient. Someone will answer this question, here or in your other thread (I believe this was also asked on you M-Edition related thread)

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
If I am reading the Haynes circuit diagrams correctly, the knock sensor does not need an engine ground. There are 2 wires going to the sensor (it's a coaxial in some years, I think) but there is no ground symbol on the sensor itself. (My understanding of circuit diagrams is limited, so I'm not 100% sure I'm right.)

But my guess is the knock sensor needs to be firmly attached to the engine to be able to detect knocking? It's a sort of microphone, I think.

Here's how to remove it without taking everything apart: http://mazda626.net/topic/31675-how-to-remove-the-knock-sensor/

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't. Be patient. Someone will answer this question, here or in your other thread (I believe this was also asked on you M-Edition related thread)
I figured it would probably be best to start a new thread instead of taking a different direction in that same thread. Sorry for polluting.

The reason I ask is because I plan on leaving the one that is in there, in its spot and installing the new one outside the block and wrapping with foam (at least until I pull the intake to do the valve cover gaskets, etc). In my 03 sentra se-r I had to remove the sensor from the block while leaving it grounding it to the block with a bolt and nut.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE: looks like the sensor does indeed require ground to work, which means there is a work around for any of you having ks problems if you dont want to have to take off the intake plenum, or if for some reason you dont want your ecu to pull timing.....but keep in mind IF YOU DO THIS YOUR ECU WILL NOT DETECT DETONATION IF IT OCCURS WITHIN YOUR ENGINE. I will post up a pic a little later but im sure you all get the idea.....install the sensor outside of the engine, get a couple washer and a nut for tue threads on the sensor, some wire and a terminal with a hole, connect one end of wire to a good ground and the other end of the wire to the threaded section on the sensor, plug it in, wrap the sensor with some cloth or foam and tuck it away somewhere safe and tie it there.

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
What's wrong with the knock sensor currently installed?
Why wouldn't you just replace the sensor instead of Micky Mousing one in with foam and risking engine damage?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the one currently installed is throwing p0325 ifrc. New sensor is working just fine, no dtc. I want to get the gasket set for the valve covers, intake manifold, etc before ripping everything apart....Just going to have it this way for now to go through emissions and get it registered, etc. I just had to order an alternator for it too, so still gonna be a couple weeks before I order gaskets.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts