Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

My 6 failed its MOT on a worn ball joint so I had a local garage press a new ball joint in place and they also replaced the anti roll bar link that joins the control arm and the wish bone......when driving the car now I get a clunking noise.The noise only occurs when I have slowed down to corner take a 90 degree left turn left and accelerate away ( the noise happens just once per corner and not every corner ! )...I tried the driving round in circles suggestion that is mentioned in other posts and apart from when setting off when it may ( or may not ) clunk it is fine.

Any Ideas what this could be ?

Oh PS..Prior to having the ball joint replaced there was noclunking noise at all ?

Thanks
J.

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Bearing in mind I'm not the most technical minded on here.
But from what I've picked up from past posts, it sounds like the link may be fitted incorrectly or loose.

A more technical minded person will be able to help more

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
Agreed... it does sound like something with the droplink, as this is the noise associated with one that is shot..

It could also be the other side, because the noise travels down the anti roll bar, and is deceiving..

John

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Einstein & RussellG. I've now found out what the noise is...It was the press fit ball joint moving slightly. The guy at the garage put 5 spots of weld on the metal "ring" part of the ball joint so that it couldn't move anymore + its now cured..I know it will be a bugger to get off but next time and if she's still on the road I will replace the whole control arm....be a lot easier than all this back and forth to the garage. If other members are getting this clunking noise after having a press fit ball joint fitted then to check the ball joint.... turn the engine off ( no power steering or engine noise ) and waggle the steering wheel quarter turn either way quickly whilst having someone look under the car at the joint.

Regards
J.

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
Ah well.. not something I would guessed at... you just expect the job to be done right...

just like people fitting new parts, and still having a problem, because the new part is faulty.. it happens..

John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts