Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i just picked up a 95 4cyln just the other day :). Well i really like the car but need to increase the power. Now i have about 2gs left and well i dont know a nothin about upgrades. Need advice as to what to start out doing. Anything!! My last car was a maxima so there is a big differnce. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
219 Posts
4cly power

I also have a 95 4cyl and the thing that added power for me noticably was a good air intake system.Also since you have the money left to get other stuff I would get a exhaust system.The only cat back systen I know of for the 4 is the brullen but I did not like the way it looked so I bought a APEX N1 universal muffler and had a muffler shop hook up the piping from the cat back.If you have the money to do it after that I would go with a headder from brullen,Adj cam gears, and underdrive pulleys. I am not sure who makes cam gears for our car yet but I do know unorthodox makes the pulleys.Hope this helps.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. Any ideas to a good link? What about the price? So whats yours running at now since you got that done? Sorry for all the questions.:)

·
Registered
219 Posts
95 mods

I really dont know a good link but I ordered my exhaust from options auto salon the intake I purchased at a shop by me. I know that NOPI has the headder and the pullys.That is probly the best place to get everything.You can get things cheeper somewhere else but I dont know if they will have all the parts or have them in stock.I paid 65 for my intake and 199.00 for my muffler and the muffler shop charged 75.00
for the install cat-back.Before my muffler was on I ran a 17.5 with a .746 reation time.I am going to run it again soon so it should be a little better than that.hope this helps you.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No doubt ill hit you up if i find anything out.
Later

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hey CivicKiller! I too have a 4 cyl. and was wondering about the brullen brand for the cat back? You see the only brands I know of is the Pacesetters and the Brospeed for the 4 cyl. I was wondering if the Brullen you bought made any increase and how much u think? Is it a good buy? And whats the site for Brullen? Sorry for the questions Man!

·
Registered
219 Posts
4cyl mods

I also have seen the brullen advertised in NOPI. The reason that I suggested getting a universal instead is the way that the brullen looks and there stuff is not known to be that good.Also with the universal it will be cheeper cat back and you can get a better muffler I run the APEXI n1.with was 199.00,and it cost me 75 to install cat-back.with is about 125.00 cheeper than the brullen and it sounds and looks better.Also I belive that if you increase the pipe dia. size you have less back preasure and increased HP.But do not increase it to much,unless you plan to add a turbo or supercharger.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey civic. what would be my horse power if i did what you did? Not to copy your stlye exactly.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I dont have a dyno sheet but I belive our cars have 121 hp stock. so I would say add 5hp for the intake and another 5-10 for the exhaust. that is only a guess though.All I know is that it sounds better and is quicker in the 1/4 mile.If you were looking in this section before and found the advise for the automatic transmission,I am going to try that this weekend so I will post the results.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hey CivicKiller, So the brullen cat back can be purchased at NOPI and w/ the universal muffler APEXIn1 attached to the brullen it will increase hp at around 5 to 10. How does it sound? And what do you suggest that the pipe diameter should be to reduce back pressure and increase hp? ( love the name, hate hondas )

·
Registered
219 Posts
4 cyl power

As far as pipe diameter goes, it depends on whether you plan on turbo charging the engine or running it N.A.
If you go turbo, then run a 2-3/4 or bigger, if N.A. go with a 2-1/4. This will decrese backpressure but not enough to lose horses. Too large of a pipe can cause adverse affects in hp.

·
Registered
219 Posts
4 cyl power

ssaiyan4m: Iam sorry I did not read your post correctly the first time. If you go with a universal muffler you will have to get the piping bent at a muffler shop.The brullen is a cat-back exhaust system and it comes with the piping and muffler as one system.so if you plan to go with the brullen that is all you have to buy. if you go with the universal you will have to take it to a shop and have the piping bent from the cat-back or have them take out the cat, but make sure they find a place to put the sensor.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hey CivicKiller! I went to check out the brullen exhaust at brullenexhaust.com and they do not carry a cat back exhaust system for a 4 cyl. MX-6. I was wondering how you went about finding a brullen brand cat back exhaust that fit your 4 cyl?

·
Registered
219 Posts
brullen cat-back

I saw the brullen cat back advertised at NOPI. And I do not have a brullen cat back I have a APEXI N1 universal and then got the rest of the piping bent for my car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts