Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey out there to anyone who has an L.S.D. Does this make much of a difference around the corners? Also, I went to cork sports and saw an L.S.D. and it said it was J-spec. Does that mean that I need a J-spec engine or that it is stock on a j-spec car? And how much work does it take to put on? Thanx

·
Registered
488 Posts
There are 4 LSDs out there that I know of for our cars.

Corksport's J-spec unit, yes it is the one that comes int he Japanese version of the MX-6 stock

OPM's clutch type, basically the same as Corksports.

MazdaSpeed/Quafie's torsen style unit.

and

PhantonGrip's faker unit. Just a modification of the stock differential but supposed to work very well.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I asked Mike94PGT the same question the other day and this is the reply I got...

An Quaife LSD is around $1900. Putting it in yourself is possible but not
really recommended as the whole transaxle case must be split. If you've got
the tools and skills, sure. But I'd really leave that to a good, reputable
transmission shop.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
damn...i need one of those too...looks like ill be saving for a while

·
Registered
362 Posts
anyone tried one of those phantom grips? seems too good to be true. Can't seem to find a website for them either, just sites selling the unit.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
how much? and post a link...

·
Registered
362 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've got the Quaife (i.e. the tor-sen style unit from Mazda Comp Parts). Its not cheap, but it is by far the best unit available. It won't break (the rest of the driveline will break first), it distributes the power better, and it makes a big difference in corners. The unit is about US$1300 + US$150 or so for the bolts to put the tranny & diff back together again. Installation is expensive so you may as well get your tranny rebuilt or at least re-sealed while you're at it.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
only $299 for the phantom grip?...hmmm sounds tempting. i think i might try this... my other option is $1300+

unless i can find a used J-spec unit, of course…

1 - 11 of 11 Posts