Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a little research the other day and I found out that the simple upgrade to the larger MAF sensor isn't really as good as it could be, according the tuning site, you really don't get too much of an increase in power unless you also fit larger injectors. I might do this little mod, but I am afraid of the expense if this is true... anyone have any input on this??

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Which site was this? Mine? :)

If you are talking about your 4.6L (I assume that's what's in your TBird), I'm not sure I believe it's necessary to replace the injectors when upsizing the MAF. You can get MAFs with sampling tubes calibrated for different capacity injectors, like 19, 24 and 36 pound etc. You just need to specify the injectors on the engine when ordering the MAF to ensure you get the right sampling tube. A MAF alone won't allow enough extra airflow to saturate the OEM injectors unless it's accompanied by, say, a blower.

If you are talking about an MX6 with a 4-banger, the stock unit (50mm? 55?) flows enough air for the engine as is, IMHO. Unless much additional work is done to the motor or a power-adder is bolted on, the stock MAF is fine.

Finally, if it's for the MX6/PGT V6, the VAF is not directly interchangable with a MAF like a 73mm Vortech unit without some sort of signal converter box. And I'm not aware of any aftermarket VAF that's a "bigger" replacement for the (crappy) unit on these cars.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts