Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2:30 on a friday night (well technically sat morning)= an interesting race

resulted in my closest race thus far. 2 runs, 1 loss, 1 win. (again, i rarely start these!! they find me!)

was a.... (drumroll) dsm in the form of a 2nd gen eclipse.

so anyways, i am leaving early tomorrow to go see some family, and decided, u know what.. let me fill up on gas tonight. Theres always a line like 3-4 cars deep on sat mornings.

so i just filled her up, added my requisite half gallon of xylene (not in that order or i would be overflowing eh? (raises the effective octane, better and cheaper than most octane boosters.) because i am paranoid about predet until i get my timing figured out and get her intercooled. I've been doing this since turbo'd and all seems fine.

so.. i'm puttering along again, on a 2 lane, 2way street as are so common in the city.. mbc set for a *low* 6psi, 7lbs coming on late in 3rd and through 4th gear lol.. (low compared to my whoops of 12 last week hahaha.. oops)

I happen to shift as i am passing an intersection, which of course has the accompanying BOV }) and as soon as i noticed a car blowing through the red light to make a right and follow me, i knew i would be getting into a race.

he catches up to me, and its a really nicely done 2g eclipse. had the works. kit, lowered, z3 fenders, looked like aftermarket lights, rims, etc. NO WING. sweet. (kitted 2g eclipses look damn sexy without a wing, similar to how i like the mx6's kitted and wingless)

his BOV was louder than mine. much louder lol.. haha

So anyways he lurches forward and slows down a couple of time- yeah buddy i get the hint already. unluckily for him we're lining up at what i think is this car's sweetest spot now that its turbo.. 2nd gear at 35 mph... or maybe unluckily for me since thats as good as it gets for now LOL.

he actually got on it before it did, but we're talking split milliseconds here.. call it an even start.

i pull about a car through second.. his front at my rear... switch to 3rd, he pulls in a little closer, maybe rear quarter now, and then... it just stayed there. neither of us could gain or lose an inch.. about as dead even as two cars can be. We stopped midway through 4th because it is afterall.. city streets, albeit a very long straight with few cut-ins. Coast to the light he rolls down his window - "$hit man good run, you don't know how long i've been waiting to hear another blowoff in brooklyn - i never come across anyone!" then the words i dread from a dsm.. "wanna run from a dig?" dammit.

lol

so here comes my loss.

i have very little practice launching and usually roast the tires.. so i decided to really soft launch it. Not that it would have helped either way - he ripped me off the line lol. Took the hole shot harder than my friend's wrx does. Light changes and he immediately jumps out like a car and a half.. im into 2nd gear quick, and i start reeling him in very very slowly through 2nd.. i'm about where he was in the first race, but a little further back.. im close enough where my nose doesnt clear his rear bumper, but far enough back to read his license plate.

aside from inches dropped here and there, thats the way it stayed until i heard him let off the gas, again midway through 4th.. thumbs up, he pulls a uturn. another amicable ending.

overall my best recent race - he definitely had some stuff done, but wasnt as hardcore as some dsm's i can think of ;) lol (thankfully haha) - what was done however i do not know. The differences from stock gsx's i could tell was this: i could hear his turbo very clearly, i could hear a wastegate dumping to the atmosphere and i could here a BOV. obviously an exhaust was part of that equation.. big ass tip and all... but i heard these other sounds (not all at once) above the exhaust.

:tup: from me, i wish i coulda gotten to talk to him a bit, find out what hes running.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Too bad you werent driving a 1st gen. With the amount of money you have in your car ;) you would have toasted him.

~1st member

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rcoolb2002 said:
Too bad you werent driving a 1st gen. With the amount of money you have in your car ;) you would have toasted him.

~1st member
too bad 1st gens are so butt fugly ;) :D 8D

j/k ;)

i actually don't have all that much into her

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
Good kill, thats how I do with modded 2nd gens. Ive never raced a GSX from a dead stop though. Seems like it would be fun

too bad 1st gens are so butt fugly
No there not, you know you love them:D I think the 1st and 2nd gens look great. Of course I love my car

Sounds like your car is damn quick, keep up the kills!!!!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Goatcrapp said:
"wanna run from a dig?" dammit.

lol

I was just thinking he would have tried that on the next light and then you post it...LOL

Good kill and story...My head turns like crazy if I hear a BOV too. :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts