Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my six is stock...and i just moved to orlando from snowy kansas so i just started racing on the streets of downtown.....was wondering how experienced racers race......what do you rev the engine up to before you drop the clutch? what are the best shift points if you really want to go all out? what's safe? what's dangerous for the tranny? thanks.....i have a 94 v-6 by the way

·
Registered
173 Posts
where did you live in ks man? sorry, i don't know anything about trannies just wanted to know where from. i live in derby, right outside of wichita.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's Up...I'm from Overland Park, I just graduated from Shawnee Mission South, maybe you've heard of it...I've heard of Derby, it's a real small town right? my best friend's brother's fiancee was raised there...you must have one of the nicer rides out there in Derby...I hear the weather in Kansas is real nasty right now, I would highly recommend moving to Orlando.....later

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Orlando

I live near Orlando...depends on where you race.

Are you just racing on the streets or are you going to LockHeed Martin's Auto Cross with the SCCA?

You may want to take a look in the SouthEast forum....most of the people in there are in the Central Florida area.

Later

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm just racing on the streets for now....west colonial usually.....through downtown o-town...i'll check out that southeast forum though, thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THEGOAT said:
what's dangerous for the tranny?
Well, dropping the clutch @ high rpm is. So is power shifting. Also downshifting quickly and smashing the gas... basically anything that will give the tranny a sudden jolt or shock. Do that too many times and you'll be out of a nice car.

If you're looking to make quick starts, don't drop the clutch- that will only get you tire spin. Rather slip it from about 4-5K rpm and once it hooks let it go quickly so you get just a small chirp. Granted, you'll wear the clutch faster, but its better replacing a clutch then the whole tranny, plus you'll get better starts. As for shift points, you should shift right past your max hp mark. I'm not sure what it is on the V6 but say it is 6000 rpm. That means don't wait until red line cause the engine will produce less power after the max hp mark.

Last but not least, don't do anything stupid in the street. Its ok to have fun, but keep it safe. If you're really interested in racing then join the SCCA for some autocross fun!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
scca fun

That's exactly right....and they meet all the time here in Orlando....you may have to ask around or go to the web page, but I'd rather race there and have fun than race on I-4 and get a crazy ticket. FYI the cops here don't just drive crown vics, green grand cherokees are really common too, and they aren't exactly slow as a friend of mine found out the hard way.

later

·
Registered
548 Posts
Dang what color was your Mx. I live in Lenexa and go to S M West. I probably saw your car befor you moved. To bad, I have been trying to find somebody on the boards that lives around here.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Yea, If that is an M-edition than I have seen it. I used to see it every now and then. Once I saw it in the parking lot at Best Buy at 95th. and Quiveria. Almost waited to talk to whoever owned it but I didnt. Now I know! Maybe it was a different one but there arnt too many M's in town. By the way the weather has been nice for the past week. Actually got into the 50's yesterday.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nah, it's not an M edition....94 ls....but i used to shop at that best buy....it's cool to hear from somebody from my home town..later

·
Registered
40 Posts
silentfurymm said:
Dang what color was your Mx. I live in Lenexa and go to S M West. I probably saw your car befor you moved. To bad, I have been trying to find somebody on the boards that lives around here.
I'm in KC, MO two blocks from State Line. I'm picking up my MX-6 early next week.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts