Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the situation with tinting our tail conflicting with laws in the northwest? I am looking to tint my tails but do not want to if i am going to get pulled over

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
You will. I got pulled over for having my rear turn signals tinted. The cop gave me crap about it for 5 minutes but then let me go.

Their run down on the whole tinting situation:

Front turn signals - amber. Always.
Rear turn signals - any shade between red and amber. Don't know much about the taillights themselves, I'm sure you could get away with them being lightly tinted if you drive with parking lights on during the day. Good luck

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So is the answer no? has anyone had them tinted for a long time here in the northwest? Im willing to bypass the law if i know people havent really been pulled over for it. I really like the look of it plus my tails are disgusting right now

·
Registered
694 Posts
I have been behind a couple of vehicles lately where the tint was so dark, I couldn't see the brakelights!!:mad: Especially on sunny days! Light tinting, like a smoke almost, looks nice and your less likely to be harrassed by Lt. Dick.:p

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been behind a couple of vehicles lately where the tint was so dark, I couldn't see the brakelights!!:mad: Especially on sunny days! Light tinting, like a smoke almost, looks nice and your less likely to be harrassed by Lt. Dick.:p
good advice.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Here you go:

WAC 204-72-040 - Headlight/Tailight covers. Mounting requirements, specific.Pursuant to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Standard 108, no aftermarket styling ornament or other feature, such as tinted plastic or glass covers, a grille or slotted covers shall be in front of the headlamp lens, or in front of any other lighting devices installed on motor vehicles, except for headlamp concealment devices meeting the requirements of FMVSS 112. Clear aftermarket headlamp covers are exempt from this section.

(1) Clearance, sidemarker, and identification lamps.

(a) Clearance lamps, sidemarker lamps, and combination clearance and sidemarker lamps shall be mounted as specified in FMVSS 108, except for combination clearance and sidemarker lamps on pole trailers which shall be mounted as required by RCW 46.37.090 (5)(c). On vehicles manufactured prior to May 1, 1980, clearance lamps need not be visible at the inboard angles, and clearance and sidemarker lamps need not comply with the mounting height requirements of FMVSS 108.

(b) Identification lamps shall be mounted as specified in FMVSS 108, except where the cab of a vehicle is not more than 42 inches wide at the front roof line a single identification lamp shall be deemed to comply with the requirements for front identification lamps.

Most cops will not pull you over it, but there are a few that decide they want to and will because they can.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here you go:

WAC 204-72-040 - Headlight/Tailight covers. Mounting requirements, specific.Pursuant to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Standard 108, no aftermarket styling ornament or other feature, such as tinted plastic or glass covers, a grille or slotted covers shall be in front of the headlamp lens, or in front of any other lighting devices installed on motor vehicles, except for headlamp concealment devices meeting the requirements of FMVSS 112. Clear aftermarket headlamp covers are exempt from this section.

(1) Clearance, sidemarker, and identification lamps.

(a) Clearance lamps, sidemarker lamps, and combination clearance and sidemarker lamps shall be mounted as specified in FMVSS 108, except for combination clearance and sidemarker lamps on pole trailers which shall be mounted as required by RCW 46.37.090 (5)(c). On vehicles manufactured prior to May 1, 1980, clearance lamps need not be visible at the inboard angles, and clearance and sidemarker lamps need not comply with the mounting height requirements of FMVSS 108.

(b) Identification lamps shall be mounted as specified in FMVSS 108, except where the cab of a vehicle is not more than 42 inches wide at the front roof line a single identification lamp shall be deemed to comply with the requirements for front identification lamps.

Most cops will not pull you over it, but there are a few that decide they want to and will because they can.
thank you :tup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts