Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just installed a thermostat today. After it was installed, I refilled the radiator with antifreeze, and it started leaking underneith the car. It is leaking right around the area of the thermostat, but not from it. Under the car, I can see the fluid dripping from a metal part, but can't find it leaking anywhere above this part... Where should I go from here?

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
The spot where the thermostat housing meets the cylinder head is prone to leakage if not installed carefully. You will likely need to use RTV sealant and a new gasket, along with a careful cleaning of the mating surfaces to get this spot to seal. I had troubles getting this to happen on my friend's 1990 626 and it was really a headache. I think perhaps that spot is warped on his car.

Also make sure you didn't break off one of the thermoswitches on the housing.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
KoRnSTAR89 said:
I just installed a thermostat today. After it was installed, I refilled the radiator with antifreeze, and it started leaking underneith the car. It is leaking right around the area of the thermostat.........

If you didn't have any prior leakage problems before installing the T-stat, then do as Magik suggested. The mounting flanges need to be carefully cleaned and sealer used with the gasket.
The mounting holes may be stripped if the bolts had been overtightened. Also check the housing for damage or cracks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts