Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to fix up my new 91 lx. Probelm is the trunk leaks. Ive isolated it to coming from the lights. whats an easy way to stop it from leaking??

·
Registered
934 Posts
search on "leaking trunks"

This has been covered in-depth already.

I checked my trunk after reading about this problem and found the stock jack had rusted to the bottom of the pan. (ack!)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think leaky trunks are a common thing with these cars. Seems to be very common. I had a crack in one of my lenses which caused water in the trunk....nasty mold, stinky, gross, yuck yuck. Also having a crack in my lens caused my bulbs to short out every 6 months. I finally found someone that sold me the whole deck (trunk) lid. I got the spoiler, trunk and light assembly cheaper than ordering from the dealer. It was really simple to trade out the lights. Be aware, most salvage yards won't sell you just the lights. They want to sell the whole thing. Also, when you lift the trunk, water tends to run down around your seals, so if your seals are bad, this is another way to get moisture in your trunk.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I've got two holes that got rusted through in the bottom of the trunk. The carpet is all mildewy, and forget about the floorpan thing that fits over the spare, it rotted out long ago.
Anyone know how to get mildew out of the carpet, preferably withough plunking down wads of $$$ to get it shampooed?

·
Registered
45 Posts
hmm, you can do it yourself... you can take the whole piece of carpet out if you lift out the 900 or so (kidding) fasteners from the rearside of the seatbacks...

I would imagine if your carpet is mildewy your cardboard backing is probably shot too, rip as much of it off as you can if this is the case. I think you would be OK to use a dilute bleach solution to get rid of the mildew (not sure if its 100% colorproof, test it out first if you care about losing a little color) but bleach gets rid of mildew pretty well. I'd say, soak it overnight in bleach and some laundry soap, rinse it off well with a hose, and hang it out to dry (i doubt if the dryer is the best idea)

if your cardboard backing is gone, you can do what I did, get a 40" by 40" piece of thin plywood, then cut it in two and put some door hinges in it so you can still get at the spare tire. Then you can just use a staple gun or whatever you feel like using (velcro works too) to attach the carpet to the wood.

I wouldn't know these things if I didn't spend an entire day fixing what ailed my trunk, lol

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Aren't most older MX6s notorious for leaky trunks? There seems to be a lot of slight problems that plague the older models. I think i read somewhere that a lot of 'em comsume high amounts of oil...anyone else have a list of common problems?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A common problem and well known, also by Mazda.
That is why the 90-92 1st gen. has different taillights.
2 problems with the taillights.
*1 the rubber behind it gets worn, replace or use silicon lute.
*2 The taillights have a red and yellow section, with the 88-90 cars they are 2 lose sections, water tends to run between them, that's why the 90-92 is made of 1 pice.
How to get it right, I don't know.
My workshop manual says, you can get them of by heating them in hot water (above 70*C), clean them and put some sort of glue in it and stick it back.
Never tried it though.
For further rust and water problems check my site.
http://users4.50megs.com/mx6

Regards,
Barry

·
Registered
20 Posts
leaky trunk

Bleach.......oh, no!! I have ruined too many things with bleach. Try this one....buy a box of TSP (trisodium phosphate) or something like that. You can buy it at the paint store and mix it with water. It's what painters use to remove and kill mold and mildew when remodeling places that have gotten damp and for siding on your house. It kills mildew growth and removes stains. You can also mix it with a little bleach if you're sure it won't hurt the fabric. Anyway, thought this may help. It's about $2.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts