Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what's a girl to do? There is evidence of oil leakage in my garage under where i park...small spots, only had my 6 for a month now, not much there, so its not a serious leak...but...well...if a car is leaking oil, how much money am i lookin at to fix the leak? i need numbers, but any insight would truly help this wallet-barren lady!

-Ashley

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you're able to spend about $50 (maybe even less) for a kit that uses tracing dye to locate leak points, you'll have a good idea about the source of the oil leak and thereby a good idea about repair needs. I have used this and it has helped focus my efforts.

That aside, good places to check out first are valve covers gaskets, oil pan gaskets, oil pan drain plug, and oil sending unit. Hopefully replacing those items will do the trick.

Cost-wise, the parts (if the above mentioned places are the culprit) can be purchased at most autoparts stores for under $50.

One exception I would make is if you find that your rear VCG is the leak (assuming you have a V6) and you are not comfortable digging around on your engine yet, you may want a shop to do it, simply for the sake of time.

Without more information, the cost of having a shop investigate and repair the problems is hard to say.

***I don't mean to speak authoritatively - I'm just passing on what I have gleaned here. Anyone feel free to set me straight if I'm wrong***
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
20 Posts
My '95 4 cyl also leaked oil. The mechanic pointed to both the cam seals and the oil pan gasket. Replacing the cam seals stopped the leak (at least the one to the garage floor).

If you want a cheap solution, you could try putting in high mileage oil (Castro and Valvoline are two popular brands). The oil contains stuff to swell the seals in an attempt to stop or slow the leak.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx for the input all! I've (after some trouble) determined it to be the oil sending unit that is leaking! Not bad for a girl, eh? Anyways, I've heard that they can be bought anywhere between 20-40 dollars...is this correct? I've also heard that domestic cars usually have cheaper ones, and if correct, I could probably just use the one for a Ford Probe GT, correct?

-Ashley

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah well...i took it to the mazda dealership to get a new oil sending unit...they fixed it, put it in...drove it home. Little did i know...the teeny drop from the oil sending unit is now a pour, and there is a trail of oil all the way down the road into the garage. there is, by now, no oil left in the car...they messed up bad when they put the new unit in...grr...

-Ashley

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
you could just hope that they screwed it up real bad, thenget a new engine from them for free:D

Mine was leaking from about three different spots, I know one of the was the rear valve cover gaskets. Call them tomorrow and tell the they screwed up, don't let them get away with dismissing it as your fault.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts