Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...sucks. I've got the basic concept, i'm just not engaging the gears as smoothly as i'd like to. Time to go back out and practice some more.......:D And yes, this is my second time driving a stick shift. I are teh win.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hot euphemism. my first time was during the day
hahahhahahaha. Ok.

I got off topic right thar.

I've been practicing all day, and have gotten really good now. I did chirp the tires this morning, but that was after my dad moved the car last night and left it in gear. Now my thinking would be "who would leave it in gear instead of using the WORKING parking brake?" But alas, I should have looked. Started it up, and engaged so hard I left some rubber residue on the driveway rofl.

But so far I have first and reverse mastered, only stalled once and that was because I got the top of the driveway and hit the brake (first reaction with my automatic haha) and forgot to engage the clutch and put it in neutral.

You live and learn. But i'm confident i'm capable of learning this quickly :D

·
Registered
737 Posts
1st and reverse are the hardest. everything in the middle is a cake walk because you're already moving. :) you'll be a pro by the end of the day tomorrow. plus, once you get the hang of it you'll realize that you can drive it similarly to an automatic in some cases. there's not always a need to shift into a different gear.

good luck man

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1st and reverse are the hardest. everything in the middle is a cake walk because you're already moving. :) you'll be a pro by the end of the day tomorrow. plus, once you get the hang of it you'll realize that you can drive it similarly to an automatic in some cases. there's not always a need to shift into a different gear.

good luck man
My mom just said the exact same thing to me at dinner just now. Haha.

And thanks for wishing me luck :)

·
Josh Bannings = 1
3,178 Posts
I'm glad I didn't have to learn MTX with my 6. Heavy ass clutch. Also, if you over rev when trying to get into gear, the traction control would kick in and stall you out because you didn't know what you were doing. Melissa has done that soo many times, that I make her turn off TC whenever we start our lessons.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
I learned in a doodoo brown VW Rabbit when I was 12, and then mastered the craft of the manual transmission in my 86 626GT when I was 16. :)

·
Banned
2,630 Posts
I learned in a doodoo brown VW Rabbit when I was 12, and then mastered the craft of the manual transmission in my 86 626GT when I was 16. :)
jajaja funny i also learn on a VW Rabbit lol stupid clutch was hard.

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
I wish I was there to give a few pointers, as I've learned some fantastic techniques that really help people grasp the concept of driving a manual. They'd take about an hour to type out, as its difficult to explain (although I did mention it once before, if you care enough to search, in the General automotive or the Lounge section, I forget).

But yeah practise is key... you'll get it. Just make sure you let out the clutch FULLY before accerating hard. If your gunning the gas while still letting off the clutch, (and riding it I mean) then that'll (very) pre-maturely shorten the clutch life.

Its best to keep the revs low, get off the clutch (completely), then give it some serious gas.
Only give it enough gas when your letting the clutch out, to get the car rolling, to a point where if you were to let the clutch out, the car wouldn't jerk, its kind of a balancing act. Like I say is very hard to explain, but hopefully you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I dont own one but I learned in a 94 Integra.

Even though it was ATX, the first time I put my foot on the gas of my mx6 I chirped the tires. I didnt gun it but it was awesome since I had never done it before :)

·
Premium Member
5,824 Posts
I drove my first stick when I bought my S2K. Before the test drive I had never driven one.

Ive been ridding bikes for years which some how magicly allowed me to drive my car home.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I learned on my six after I swapped it to an mtx. I Finished the swap at 9 on a sunday. drove around the block for 20 minutes stalled twice. Then I drove it to school the next morning 15 miles away. Managed to stall it once at a light but that was it. good times.

Sometimes I wonder what I was thinking swapping that car. Then I look outside at the new monster I've created and wonder when I'm going to learn

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
I learned for an hour in a dodge neon my dad had repo'd for his bank. That was when I was 16. The next time I drove a stick (other than around the shop) was the day I picked up my 1G:D

·
Premium Member
5,824 Posts
That is the reason I have not driven my car in 4 years. I wanted to swap it to an MTX so I could learn to drive.

When I was doing the swap I broke a bolt in the bell housing.

Noticed my engine was total shit and then so I bought a ZE, which was bad.

I returned it.

Got business with my career.

So this will be the third time I have driven my MX6 and the first time as a MTX!

I learned on my six after I swapped it to an mtx. I Finished the swap at 9 on a sunday. drove around the block for 20 minutes stalled twice. Then I drove it to school the next morning 15 miles away. Managed to stall it once at a light but that was it. good times.

Sometimes I wonder what I was thinking swapping that car. Then I look outside at the new monster I've created and wonder when I'm going to learn

·
Registered
737 Posts
i learned to drive stick in a '72 Land Cruiser at Sand Lake :cool: at age 14. But then I didn't drive another stick until I was 18.

My one piece of advice, if you haven't done this already..

Get to know your clutch. And by that I mean this..

Practice in your neighborhood where there won't be much traffic and get to know when and where your clutch wants to engage and disengage. Don't be afraid to stall it, in fact plan on stalling it. While in motion (going slowly) slowly apply pressure to the clutch and listen/feel for when it disengages and take note of where your foot was and how much farther you still had to go before it was to the floor. Also, while at a stop in 1st gear, very slowly let the clutch out and get used to how well or not well it wants to drive the car and just how far you have to let it out before it'll catch, and how far is too far to the point that it stalls.

Knowing your clutch will help a lot in learning the rest. That's all :)

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
i learned to drive stick ...at age 14. But then I didn't drive another stick until I was 18.
oh yeah, now that's what I'm talking about. pedobear ftmfw

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I practiced all day yesterday, and did some more this morning, and I think it's safe to say i've almost mastered shifting into first and reverse. Finally learned how to feather the clutch and gas pedal to get the car rolling slowly and not quick right off the bat.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts