Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey All

Got bored the other week and decided to order a bunch of 194 LED bulbs for the interior.

Being some members have commented the light dispersion for LED isn't good for some bulbs, resulting in hot and cold spots on the dash, I opted for 20 LED's on one bulb for the dash & interior. I also redid the lights in the dome as well.

I will be ordering a whack of 74 LED bulb's for the rest of the dash warning lights and the climate control. Additionally, since I have an auto, I will be redoing the lights for the gear selector as well.

Anyways pictures below, and damn the courtesy driver and passenger lights are disgustingly bright.

·
Super Moderator
2,132 Posts
Good to know, I just ordered all led lights for my tail lights, figured $20 was worth the gamble to see if the out put was better.
Thanks for the pics, I may actually do this as well.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

·
Registered
493 Posts
Looks good man :tup:, sooo what bulbs did you replace exactly and where did you buy the LEDS?

·
Super Moderator
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
reAper-Hull - Car has lived almost 18 Years of its life in a garage and I condition the leather every two weeks.

mx6mazdaspeed69: Here is the current list I replaced, link to ebay LED's are also below

I refered to Chefsp0t's post : http://www.mx6.com/forums/2g-mx6-general/217558-2g-mx6-bulb-numbers.html

5 Bulbs in the Center Gauge Cluster = the 194 Bulbs
2 Bulbs for the single lights on the dash = I didn't use the omnidirectional LED's for these
3 in the Dome Light, two 194 and one DE3175
Courtesy Door light = 194 Bulb, one each.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices.

As I mentioned I will be replacing virtually all the 74 Bulb with these

10 X White Led Dashboard Gauge Light Bulbs T5 70 73 74 | eBay

I'll need about 35 to finish them off.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
there's also a #74 in the gauge cluster. you must have not done that one as your cluster looks dimmer in that corner.

i did this to all my cars a few years ago, including my beater 626. dont forget to do the rear license plate lights also. as it improves the exterior a ton!

and price around a bit and do some research. i did mine for less then $15 bux shipped. but i had to order a 2nd #74 as the first one burned out after a month. but the replacement hasnt had any issues. (im also running all red led's in my gauge cluster)

·
Registered
493 Posts
reAper-Hull - Car has lived almost 18 Years of its life in a garage and I condition the leather every two weeks.

mx6mazdaspeed69: Here is the current list I replaced, link to ebay LED's are also below

I refered to Chefsp0t's post : http://www.mx6.com/forums/2g-mx6-general/217558-2g-mx6-bulb-numbers.html

5 Bulbs in the Center Gauge Cluster = the 194 Bulbs
2 Bulbs for the single lights on the dash = I didn't use the omnidirectional LED's for these
3 in the Dome Light, two 194 and one DE3175
Courtesy Door light = 194 Bulb, one each.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices.

As I mentioned I will be replacing virtually all the 74 Bulb with these

10 X White Led Dashboard Gauge Light Bulbs T5 70 73 74 | eBay

I'll need about 35 to finish them off.
Cheers thanks for the info.

Where do the 35 bulbs go? lol; and did you just leave the turn signals stock/ non LED?.. and if i read it right the Gauge cluster takes a combination of #194 and #74 bulbs? Is there any others I would need when replacing the lights on my gauge cluster?

Also does anyone know about the light bulb in the door handle (for the key hole) - can this be replaced with an LED? does anyone know a part #? Thanks.. Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
mx6mazdaspeed69:

When I pulled out the gauge cluster, I counted ~25 74 Bulb's. Many of them are for the warning lights. The others bunch are for the automatic display cluster on the center console. Obviously manual won't have as many. I will take a look and see if I can pull the bulb out by the key area

Three are also required for the Climate Control, and my glove box takes one of the 74 bulbs as well.

monoxidechild: I will be doing the license plate as well. I will be using three LED's on one bulb for this. And I will be doing the trunk interior lights as well. I've been pretty happy with the ebay prices. The quality of the bulbs have been pretty good.

·
Registered
493 Posts
man your seats are in good condition... how is that even possible lol
3 Factors:

1) Garage stored
2) Low km, well kept mx6.
3) Maintained. (leather conditioner every 2 weeks as he says).

·
Registered
493 Posts
mx6mazdaspeed69:

When I pulled out the gauge cluster, I counted ~25 74 Bulb's. Many of them are for the warning lights. The others bunch are for the automatic display cluster on the center console. Obviously manual won't have as many. I will take a look and see if I can pull the bulb out by the key area

Three are also required for the Climate Control, and my glove box takes one of the 74 bulbs as well.

monoxidechild: I will be doing the license plate as well. I will be using three LED's on one bulb for this. And I will be doing the trunk interior lights as well. I've been pretty happy with the ebay prices. The quality of the bulbs have been pretty good.
CHeers - i assume the key hole light is very mini.. im not sure if they will make it in an LED. (it is one of my favourite lights on the entire car - very unique/ functional light location)

I am looking to replace all my interior bulbs with LEDs when i pull it apart to put in the leather and my new gauges. Cheers.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You should check out ledunderglow.com you can get some sick lights for the inside. (And outside if u want but I think its to much haha I gota set of my car) BUT if u wanna see the inside lemi know, there pretty cheep kits

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
there's a #74 bulb behind the gas gauge that lights up that entire corner. if you LED swap your cluster, you REALLY should replace that #74 bulb also. otherwise you only ding a partial swap. you can tell in the OP's pic above even as that corner is dimmer.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
We need this guide for 1Gs, too.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
you really dont need a guide. i didnt use one at all when i did all mine. i just pulled the cluster which takes a whooping 2 minutes. checked what i needed. then ordered them. the hardest part was figuring out what the #74 bulb was called. cause it doesnt say #74 on it. so i had to search LED retailers till i found one i thought was the correct one.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Can you still dim the gauges if you use leds?
Yeah cant see this being an issue at all - i THINK the dimmer switch just works by limiting the amount of power going to the dash/ cluster lights - therefore LED's or any other type of bulb would have no affect on the dimmer switch/ dimming function of the lights. :tup:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts