Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here it is, the sound you have been waiting for. You boost your V6 and you get boat loads of fun, and frustration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p3fBwGwyq4

Everything runs great, car drives and runs smooth, pulls strong and sounds good. That is untill you roll down the window and hear this sound. This sound also goes away, its not constant, but it does make it alot. This sound also pretty much made its first appearence after a coule hardcore 10psi pulls one day.

Thought it might be a spun bearing :shrug: Kinda sounds like its coming from the belt system.. perhaps I trashed another crank pulley?..

Good times.Today I took it for its last drive before being stored for the winter, filled up a full tank of gas since its 2.25 now, drove it about 30 miles, put an STI to shame.. Not really sure what If I should bother working on it this winter.. :shrug: Im getting very tired of taking apart that side of the motor.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Couldn't be in the timing belt somewhere could it? Sounds like hell.

·
Registered
752 Posts
you dont need a stethoscope ... just use a long screwdriver and put your ear to one end.. it workd just the same
+1 screwdriver works just as good, see if you can pin piont where it is coming from

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Havent even touched it yet, Im not really sure yet, hopeing its not something internal, it sounds like its external, and the weird part is it doesnt do it all the time. Actually while I was making the vid, the camera battery died, shortly after that it stoped making that noise. It also wasent making that noise prior to dirving it, I drove it for maybe 20min, then It started doing it,then stopped. :shrug: Hopefully its the crank pulley or the tensioner.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had one that sounded the same but it never stopped making the noise.
It was the crankshaft bearings. Ended up replacing the engine and selling the car...

·
Registered
494 Posts
sounds awsome!!! I think there might be something wrong!!!

·
Registered
208 Posts
look down on the accessory belt and see if the tensioner pulley is wobling side to side at all. I couldn't tell, but it looked like it was in the video, and it sounds almost exactly like mine did when i had that happen.

if it is, it is a real simple fix too, just need to put a washer in between the bolt and pulley, and it goes away.:shrug:

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
wow.. OMG ITS A ROD KNOCK!.. seriously do people have to be that retarded to think that? a rod knock does not go away.. period unless the bearings are rplaced or the motor is. i had a rod knock on my old DE. im at work so i can't watch the video but i will when i get home.

Edit*** okay i just listened to it. thats not a rod knock. its not a tapping noise. sounds just like a belt is hitting something. check your timing belt. and the tensioners. your oil sip stick is vibrating quite a bit. hope i helped and eased your mind a bit :)

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I dont think its a rod or even a spun bearing, I kinda was hoping it was :shrug: I mean.. im kinda out of projects, there isnt much left to do to this car unless im going all out race (and im not). But being able to pull the engine, build one over the winter, build my new turbo pipe design (cuz I got some great ideas), wire tuck the engine bay.. basically revamp everything. But I wont bother if the motor still has life, and it should for one that has around 90k on it and less then 600boosted miles.
My last rebuild spun a bearing, and it sounded horrible, it didnt go away.. hell you couldnt even let the engine run for more then 30seconds with out shrieking and killing the motor.

All the AC belts, pulleys.. seem to be fine. Crank pulley seems fine. It has to be something behing the timeing cover, possible the tensioner or an idler. If its the hyd tensioner im going to be pissed because it was brand new from mazda,.

I got motors and trans sitting around waiting for problems .. Some people might not know, this isnt exactly your standard ebay elcheapo turbo build.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
I got motors and trans sitting around waiting for problems
arent you lucky.
.. Some people might not know, this isnt exactly your standard ebay elcheapo turbo build.
.. and look what its gotten you.

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
arent you lucky.

.. and look what its gotten you.

Im not lucky, Im smart. I didnt fall into extra motors and trans. I bought them and kept them over the years.

Also the build hasent cost me any problems, obviously both the motor and trans wont hold up to the abuse ive been putting it through... 10+psi untuned..
I had the elcheapo parts-full of problems.. ended up costing more to replace them with stuff that works.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
he does. he ment his MS is untuned. just a basemap i beleive.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
See king whats going to happen is your going to think the motor has life yet. Then next spring its going to blow up in less than 300 miles and your going to be hating yourself for not building a motor over the winter :)

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I dont know, I might hate my self if I build a motor to :shrug: Ive honestly have been looking for something with a V8, I wanna get on the track next summer, but not in the mx6. My bro has 2 V8 Blazers, one drag dedicated, the other is kind of a cruiser. Both are very fun to work on, talk about, drive.. Huge amount of parts for them, affortable, easy.. and they just sound bad ass.

I took a closer look at things today, I can pretty much almost pull the timeing belt off the cams by hand.. Im almost certain its the tensioner. Might be time to make one, I damn sure not buying another one.
This probaly has been something that progessivly got worse. I could have swore the tone of the car changed and it lacked the power it once had to break the tires loose over the summer..

1 - 20 of 42 Posts