Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i would like some comments on the level 10 TC in a 2.0 atx mx6

how big of a difference does it make in acceleration? Does it affect the smoothness of the shifts? does it detract from the life of the tranny at all ? i would appreciate any other advice you can give also thanks!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
come on guys - after all the raving i hear about the L10 torque converters, NO one has any opinions on them?? i know a bunch of you guys have it installed. there is no one here that has it installed on a stock tranny ?? hard to believe.

anyways, im just looking for opinions on drivability, and if it will F%^& up a stock tranny (well in a shorter period of time than normal)

thanks!

·
Registered
925 Posts
I read my share of information on this product, you should improve 0.6 sec from 0-60.. allows you to fit the klze and keeps your tranny strong unlike the stock. I heard people put turbos on with those .. and it was great or nos.. but I would suggest going to probetalk.com and do a search..

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
I don't have one (MTX in fact), but I'll relate a bit of what I know of converters for autos in general, since back in my 'rodding days, my '66 Malibu SS had one.

Any converter has a "stall-speed"; the speed which a given engine will rev to until the counter-torque produced by the converter equals the torque the engine produces. It will differ for different engines - high torque motors will stall a converter at a higher RPM than weak motors.

A high-stall converter alters the turbine & stator vane angles so that the stall RPM increases. In the Malibu we ran a 3800-stall; the built 355 would rev to 3500 in a "brake torque", usually easily overpowering the drum brakes in back and vaporizing the Radial T/As :D

By increasing the stall RPM, the engine is allowed to go deeper into the power band on launch, transferring more power to the back wheels. The Chevelle was an absolute rocket with that converter. I don't know what the stall is of the L10 unit though I highly doubt its much more than 2800-3000.

Bad sides: A few. First, because the converter has a higher stall, the engine must rev higher to get the same thrust. When drag racing this is fine because with the foot to the floor, the engine is already at the stall point, but during around town cruise, the link between the engine and drivewheels can feel mushy and sluggish. You'll find yourself getting onto the throttle deeper to get the same launch from a stop-light. Gas mileage will go down. Also, a loose converter also means a ton more heat generation in the fluid. You need a good, heavy duty oil cooler. Check to see if they preserve the lock-up clutch as well...

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
great thanks! just the info i was looking for... since heat seems to be the killer in the auto trannies - i'll be getting a tranny cooler... but will this alone be enough to offsewt the extra heat generated by the converter? i would like the better launch - but certainly not at the expense of my tranny, since im not going with a full L10 rebuild... around town im not so worried - ANYTHING would be an improvement - ive been driving around with a crapping out tranny for a while, and first is nearly gone... it bumps and grinds all the way until it switches to 2nd gear... hence the reason im getting it rebuilt.

Thanks again for the great info! i appreciate it... now i can make some more informed decisions..

one last Q - does this work well with the IAT mod?

Thanks again!

·
SUPER SAMARAIZER
293 Posts
HEY GUYS I READ WHAT U GUYS WROTE BUT I STILL DONT UNDERSTAND WHATS A LEVEL 10 TRANNY IS IT PARTS TO REBUID THE TRANNY OR IS IT A COMPLETE TRANNY..WERE WOULD I GET A SET IF IT IS A REBUILD PARTS.??? COULD YOU GUYS GIVE SOME MORE INFO ON THIS LEVEL 10 TRANNY.???? THANKS

·
SUPER SAMARAIZER
293 Posts
REPLYING TO WHY THE CAPS

HEY REPLYING TO THE CAPS ..I DONT KNOW I FEEL PEOPLE CAN READ EM BETTER AN IT LOOKS MORE LARGER..ITS JUST A HABIT WRITEN IN CAPS MAN..CANT HELP IT,,,THAKS FOR THE LINK

1 - 8 of 8 Posts