Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may sound like a stupid question, but does anybody know how i can get the license plate off of a '93 mx6. I've tried repeatedly to get the screws out. When i bought the car i had to rip the old license plate off and mine is tied on there with a coat hanger. help please, im riding around with my license plate rattling when my bass hits.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
ok, guess you are talking about the back plate on the bumper, right. ok if you need a plate then the DMV is where you need to go. but if you want to mount it back on the bumper, because on mine that is all that it is mounted too. you might be able to retap the holes and use new screw in the holes. ok later

·
Registered
475 Posts
I remember when I bought my car it was bitch for the seller to get the old plates off. I think she ended up just like bending them until they came off. Anyway i just put screws into the old holes for my plates. I know it isn't exactly how theya re supposed to be put on but hey, they are fine and aren't goign anywhere.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I could put new screws in to mount my license plate, that wouldnt be a problem. The problem is that I cant get the old screws out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i had the same problem when i got my 93 LS. i took it to a repair shop that i knew and asked them to take it out for me. luckily one of the screws came out, but not the other one. finally what they did was that they drilled new holes next to the original screw holes and used new screws to mount the plate

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I got my LS, the bolt kept spinning cause the nut broke loose from the plastic housing behind the bumper from being rusted together. I took my Dremel and cut each bolt off. Then I used a pair of self tapping screws and used old bumper screw clips from an '87 Celica to hold the screws in place. I just held the plastic clip up behind the bumper and screwed the screw into it. Perfect fit, and the plate is very secure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts