Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody bought aftermarket lifters for an MX6 turbo? I have a ticking noise which I assume is a lifter. Looks like Carparts.com lists a part number for the lifters on the MX6. Also are these hard to change? I have never changed lifters on an overhead cam car. Car has approx. 150,000 miles on it. Would I be better off taking the head off and having everything rebuilt? Don't know what the cost of that would be??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jim
88 MX6 turbo

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
The lifters are easy to replace (probably not much different than doing it on a pushrod engine), but you might not need to replace them. Buy a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil from your auto parts store, drain out approx. a quart of oil, and put the MMO in. Run it like that for about 500 miles, and then change the oil like normal. Usually the noise goes away as the lifters arent actually damaged they're just clogged. And often enough there's nothing wrong with the lifters themselves but it's acutally the rocker arm oil passages that are clogged. So try doing that before you go replacing anything.,

1 - 2 of 2 Posts