Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok have any of you guys out there had problems with the lifters in your car? I think its 93 and 94 models (but not sure)because they didnt make the lifters adjustable those years. So they click real loud when they go out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yeah!

Yeah my lifters are pretty loud too man. Do you or anyone els know of anyway to fix it?

Later,

Chris Jenkins
"coolmx6"

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
jspeer said:
Ok have any of you guys out there had problems with the lifters in your car? I think its 93 and 94 models (but not sure)because they didnt make the lifters adjustable those years. So they click real loud when they go out.
AFAIK, the 2.0L (and the 2.5L for that matter) never had adjustable lifters. They were always hydraulic.

A noisy lifter is a sign of one or more things:

- oil is too thick for the ambient temperature (esp. when cold)
- lifter is gummed internally so plunger doesn't move easily or the check valve is blocked open etc
- lifter is excessively worn allowing too much clearance between body and plunger resulting in excessive bleed-down

In general, a good quality, light synth like Mobil 1 5W30 (or even 0W30 if it's really cold) run through the sump for a few hundred miles or so will quiet all but most fargone HLAs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts