Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my 91 626 with those infernal auto-seatbelts, when the belts failed, someone in the past has disabled the buzzer by unplugging it, or removing it, something...this also prevents the typical lights-on blonde alarm from sounding, etc...

The light's on alert is something I would like to have back...can someone tell me where the unit for this is located, and such. If it has been removed, I should be able to get a replacement easy enough...but without knowing where it's at, or what the plug looks like, etc..., I'd have no clue what I'm looking for.

As for the belts, I will short the connector in the A-Pillar, as in the write-up for removing the power belts, to prevent that one from sounding ...

Can anyone help me? I did a search, but came up with nothing...

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
The buzzer/beeper is located in the "CPU", which is a white box that controls the lighting and seatbelts. The CPU is located just above the fusebox underneath the driver's side dash. It's a big box that is plugged into the joint box and will unclip and slide in/out of the jointbox. (The "joint box" is the box mounted on the firewall that holds all of the relays, fusebox, and CPU)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So they either damaged the "CPU", or removed it, to prevent it from making noise...that's cool...

I STILL have my old Nissan in the drive way -am trying to get time to go to one of the local parts yards - they don't want to buy it outright, but they will trade parts for it...

Trying to get some 15" wheels (to save buying tires) for the 15" Falken's on the Nissan now, plus some misc. parts -they're not a pull-yer-part yard normally, but they're let me walk the yard, and "shop" for what I want/need, and then barter down on the trade...

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to magik8 again.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked under the dash, and saw a couple of possible boxes (my car also has an aftermarket power sunroof in it, which could add to some confusion...

does anyone have pictures of the "CPU" box that Magik is referring to? Pictures of it's location under the dash would be great, or even a P/N, or label on the box?

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
You really can't miss it. Is is a large box that is integral to the joint box. You will see where the relays are plugged into the joint box on the firewall, it is above that, plugged into the firewall. It's much bigger than any of the relays. The whole CPU box unclips and slides out of the joint box without tools.

I have a picture but my scans website is down for the count. Just get under there and look *above* where the relays are plugged in.

Might be time to buy yourself a factory manual, this is very clearly detailed in there. I'll see if I can get the pic hosted on imageshack or whatever later.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd love to buy a FSM...but lack of funds makes it hard...have to fight tooth and nail to get the wife to let me buy parts as they are needed...even if they are for HER van...

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Here's a pic of the joint box/CPU. The CPU is the big thing at the top of the joint box, the whole CPU unclips and slides out.

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
maxwgn said:
I'd love to buy a FSM...but lack of funds makes it hard...
Not a frivolous extra, but the very first tool in your toolbox.

I paid $15 US for mine off ebay.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Try explaing that to my wife...she figures I managed to work on my old Nissan, and all of my other old cars without a book, why do I need one now...

And, after seeing Magik's scan, I'd say that box has been removed. Any ideas what else it may control / do?

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
As I said, it controls the interior lighting, audible alarm (beeping noises), and the movement of the auto seatbelts. (It also controls the factory alarm if equipped) That's probably why your seatbelts aren't working. I'm surprised your interior lights are working, perhaps the box was bypassed. Those CPUs should be a dime a dozen at the junkyard, just make sure you get one from a 90-92.

The most common cause of failure of the CPU is shorting an interior light to ground; this will destroy a transistor in the CPU.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I could be mistaken, and will have to look again - but I could swear it was not in there. The driver's side belt doesn't work - it's shot, the passenger side does - this being the case, the unit would HAVE to be in there...

Maybe they somehow disabled the speaker?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts