Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Light sputter/vibration after highway speeds and normal temps

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  88mazdamx6tbogt 
#1 · (Edited)
90 mx6 gt 5 speed
80k miles on new engine (said, previous owner)

Me:

-Don't know crap about cars/engines :(
(technically my first car)

Story:

Bought this car last week and it ran perfect until last night on my way to work..

Car started fine, shifted fine, spooled fine with no problems. I got on the highway about a mile away from my house and noticed half way to work (about 6 miles) my car felt like it had a very light sputter/vibration on the gas pedal. At first it didn't feel like a big deal, but started to get worse the farther I went. It started getting uncomfortable (making the car and steering wheel vibrate) to the point where I felt I should pull over just incase it would randomly cut off, but decided not to. Like the title states, it's a light sputter and no where near as bad as some of the other threads I read. I have no loss in power and it still spools fine. Anyways, I parked the car when I got to my job and didn't feel any sputtering during lower traffic speeds. When I let it idle to cool down, I noticed the cars temperature started to crawl to HOT, not at the red line but very close until the fan came on and slowly went back to normal (dead center?). I also heard a deep popping sound on occasion

Now, on my way back home (about a mile from the freeway again) I felt the sputter again half way down the freeway but not as bad as it was on my way to work. It doesn't feel like the car is gonna break down on me but it makes me cautious of a small problem with the potential to get worse :(

Car:

-Starts first time, everytime
-No check engine light
-I'm guessing has very low idle only after driving (probably 400rpm)
-Has dual exhaust system from previous owner (why dual? idk). Besides it is more looks than function. The system is shaped like an "h" and 90+% comes out the primary side. (getting emissions/smog test proved that).

During the ride:

-Other than the light sputter (or vibration) in the pedal, it ran fine and spooled great when I gave it power
-Didn't start acting up until car fully warmed up
-remained at normal temperatures
-RPM's don't "look" like they sputter
-No lights flickering, etc.

Though I haven't had the car for very long, I have drivin this car on the highway before since I had it for about 60 miles with no problems.

oh and when I first drove the car home from the owners house I got about a half tank of gas of 87 but didn't realize turbo'd engines need premium. So I have been using 93 ever since. That came to mind as I was driving home =/

So yeah, sorry I don't know alot about cars but anything in lamens terms will help lol.

Edit: Just took the car for one last spin since it was already warmed up. It's still vibrating during cruising, but now even at 30mph. If I'm not accelerating or decelerating, it's sputtering half the time. And Temp keeps going up and down.. Also car has a 'gurgle' sound like WRX when warm.

See less See more
#2 ·
Check the plug wires for arching, when it's dark out take a spray bottle with water in it. With the engine running spay a light mist around the tips of the plug wires (and at the coil), check for arching (sparks), rev the engine a bit while doing this.

#4 ·
I just finished diagnosing and repairing a very similar issue on my 89 MX6 GT. I posted a couple of different threads on this site but nobody seemed interested in replying or helping me out. I had a sputter at 3K RPMS that I could overcome by releasing the throttle and then slowly applying more fuel. I changed my oxygen sensor, no effect. I changed my coolant temp. sensor, coolant temp. switch and coolant temp sender w/guage but still no change. I cleaned my MAF connections and cleaned out my throttle body and still had the same problem. My spark plugs and NGK wires looked fine and has less than 20K on them so I immediately ruled those out. In a fit of frustration I decided to pick up a new set of Bosch wires ($25.00) and PRESTO! No more cutting out, sputtering, hesitating etc... The issue is gone! Aside from the sputtering issue, my car was running fine, idling fine, starting fine etc.....

Hope this helps!

#6 ·
Is this the ADD thread or are you guy's smoking better pot then me?

Black "Got sputtering..."

Mazda Carnage "Check your plug wires... Rev the engine a bit while doing this"

90ProbeF2T "its good to rev the engine some to when doing this...."
(My reply was pretty short and you still managed to miss some.)

98MX6GT "similar issue, tried a bunch of stuff.... turned out to be the spark plug wires"

Black "I'll keep that in mind. I'll look for the spark on the wires first."
Keep what in mind, what is second? plug wires are all that have been suggested so far.

-----------------------------------------

98MX6GT, sorry nobody replied to your threads, never noticed them myself.
This happened to me only once back in 2003, as soon as I would floor it the engine would sputter, the only variable was the plug wires so I knew it was them immediately, drove home and put the old ones back on.

But in fairness to MX6.com most of the info you need can be found here.

http://www.mx6.com/forums/1g-faq-general/131963-faq-shop-manual-scans.html
http://www.mx6.com/forums/1g-mx6-general/211825-1990-1992-workshop-manual-scans.html

#8 ·
check the plugs and distributor, and the TB boot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.