Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Auto, if I Rev it in Neutral and take it up a few grand, then drop it into drive it lights up quiet nicely however it does make a “clunking” noise which doesn’t sound to healthy. I somehow strongly believe this isn’t to good for the trans, anyone do this on a regular basis or have any info on doing this.

Nailing it in drive or 1st just doesn't get the wheel thing going as well, and please don't tell me to buy a manual (to late).

·
Registered
283 Posts
ok bro first thing is that i own a 93 mx6 v6 auto also and off a light when i step on my gas i peil out its not a huge piel put but decent second is by u doing what u do u will need a new tranny son very sonn out tranny;s are very delicate and i rebuilt my twice u will also break motor mounts, u want more torque do some mods dont neutral dop it, do headers exhaust intake throttle body , cams, u will see a huge diffrence what u r doing to it is easily kiiling it slowley

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
bad for the tranny, definately... try power braking...

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Monitor, my one and only suggestion is to NOT DO ANYTHING THAT WOULD MESS UP THE ATX. The ATX's on the MX6 are very very weak and are prone to being damaged with very little effort. Things like power braking or doing this floor it in neutral and slamming it in drive will totally screw up your tranny... Even if your tranny is working fine now, START SAVING UP.. you WILL have to rebuild/replace it after a couple of years.

TRUST me on this.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I know doing neutral drops can mess up the tranny but what about just rippin it and lighten up the tires normally. Like when its wet out or on some nice new pavement? Can that damage the tranny much?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
i'm one of those poor souls with an auto as well (didn't have a choice, the civic i drove to the dealership wasn't gonna drive me home). you know, it would actually be cheaper and easier to just buy a used mtx mx-6 with HIGH miles and swap out the engine. i mean you can find em with 200k for like less than 2g's, and you have a spare parts car left over!

G

·
allworldkj said:
I know doing neutral drops can mess up the tranny but what about just rippin it and lighten up the tires normally. Like when its wet out or on some nice new pavement? Can that damage the tranny much?
Any sudden jolt or rush of torque thru those delicate gears will definately shorten its life. Its the torque of the engine that kills & shreds gears, especially when given all at once. If you get any wheel hop then that is extremely bad; it's been known to snap drive axles and tear up differentials on RWDs, I'm sure the more fragile FWD vehicles will do the same. Make sure you follow fluid changes on your tranny as well, that will help extend its life. Also, take note as to how much metal shavings are present in the fluid when you change it and how dirty/dark it is- that will give some indication of wear on the gears.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Thanks for the info man. ATX's are such a pain in the ass...

How often should one change the fluids in the transmission and is there like a flush you can buy for it to clean it out? Also whats the best transmission fluid to put in? I want my tranny to live!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the advice guys, ill avoid the practice.

To be fair Auto's arn't all bad. You can eat McD's while driving without spilling it everywhere and if your had a long day shifting can be a pain in the ass esp when you only want to get home.

Oh and if your driving and your girlfriend ....., ah never mind, let just say having no clutch can be handy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts